Removing PA speaker protection foam?

I'll just add to the question!
There are some nice PA drivers suitable for home use, e.g. something like this:

1710580088361.png

But the gaskets are
1) ugly and
2) increase the needed thickness for recessing

If usually removable without problems and without ripping the surround/cone off, it would give a nice opportunity to make an own thin ring cover.
No, mounting from the back of the baffle is no option, it impacts the overall enclosure contruction too much for my taste.

Someone experience with this?

Last edited:
In my experience they split when you try to pull, and as a result looks even worse. You can get alumni rings to cover instead. Cover then also the bolts. It’s nice, but I haven’t tried it myself and I don’t know how they attach. Maybe it’s magnetic? Btw I don’t thing recessing this soft material in a mid/bass is of any performance value, only looks.

Ok, my speaker were flush mounted, but like tightly flushed... So I had to pry it forcefully to take it out, and I somehow ripped some of this foam in the process!

Given what you all wrote above, I didn't relaize it was supposed to be flush to the basket so I just glued it back :)

Great advice, and it seems to work! Thanks! :)(y)
For best results use a single bevel blade, with a 'flat side', and cutting edge starting on "bottom" side of the blade going all the way across.
Gives you a much better finish as you can use the flat bottom as a "guide", a very thin piece of masking tape and frame scratching won't happen either.
Xacto often brands theirs chisel.

Reactions: 1 users