Removing old style Female RCA Jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well... At least they followed the resistor colour code for the wiring. That'll make reconnection a bit easier.

What's the plan after you get the RCAs out? Install new ones, presumably. That'll be quite the chore as well. So... Why not bite the bullet and replace the rear panel? You could just cut around the connectors and add a sheet metal plate to the outside (or inside if the cutout is pretty enough) of the chassis.

Tom

Hi Tom, I'm planning to replace them, I already picked up the parts and am ready to go. It's a nice old McInstosh MA-5100 and I don't want to disfigure it too badly. They're pretty simple through hole connectors with a retaining nut, I'm suspecting it will just be a job of soldering the old wires back to the new lugs (Which I really really hope is simple).

When I did the continuity test I preformed it on several jacks to make sure I didn't just do one that had failed insulation and they all tested as chassis grounded.

As of now I am planning to replace all of the jacks with new ones (I don't want it to look like a hockey player), but that tune may change depending on how much trouble I have getting these out. I may leave the phono jacks and just clean them since they are on a separate plate that is riveted to the chassis and wouldn't look too terribly out of place. I did not check the continuity of the phono jacks, but I think they are also chassis grounded (I will verify prior to changing if I go that route). They did have some resistors coming off of them, but those are connected to signal, I think that's part of the pre-amp for the phono and some tape players that require extra amplification.

I have some experience drilling out homebrew kettles with a step bit, but I am worried they will just end up spinning in there as noted by @Alan4411.

I just got some new side cutters in the mail a few days ago, I guess it's time to see if they are worth their salt! If not, I like the idea of going around the bend on the inside of the pressed jack and weakening the integrity of the material to make it easier to bend/get them out.

Thanks for your time everyone, and the good luck wishes on the ACA!

--Jonathan

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...I am worried they will just end up spinning...

It's thin metal. By the time you remove so much it spins, you can take a fine chisel applied sideways to knock one point of the ring "in", and then work it out.

(BTW, this is how you remove cylinder liners on an Allison aircraft engine: grind the liner paper-thin and bump it in. Putting new liners in requires oven, dry ice, and naphtha....)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.