Remote wire Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend is installing a Z1 amp in his car , He has the following components he needs to turn on with the remote wire.

Line driver
Crossover
Z1 requires 2 turn on leads
Eq
ADS amp

So he has 6 things he's trying to power on but the head unit cannot supply enough to run everything.

Wondering if a relay would work for this problem??

If so What size relay would he need and how would he wire it??

Its been awhile since i did installs so i cant think right now plus i have to many amps to work on.

Any help would greatly be appericated. Thanks

Can he turn on each item by itself ? It may be true that the head unit cannot turn on that much stuff. What happens to the control voltage when he tries? Try ataching one item at a time while watching the control voltage. If its just that head unit cannot provide the voltage/current than yes a relay may be the answer.

If he hooks everything up besides the Z1 amp everything plays perfect for hours .
As soon as he hooks the Z1 amp up or a differnt amp to the sub same thing happens .
So thats my guess is the head unit cant run everything hes got
Yes, because the remotes often supply only about 100mA.

A standard Bosch type relay should solve the problem. I have never heard of any head unit not able to drive that type of relay (although there may be some that can't).
Correct.

You need to wire as follows:

• Pin 87 to 12V+ supply, like a main hotwire
  • Pin 30 to all the device's remotes
  • Pin 86 to the head unit's remote
  • Pin 85 to ground

Last edited:
Some HU (head unit) blow the remote if you try to run more than about three amps off them. Best to use a relay, really better to use a smaller 10A relay that draws less but the bosh type are cheap and available and work fine. Run the relay off the HU, then everything off the relay. Back in the day you could run all kinds of stuff off them, but not now just like alarms they want you to use a relay for any current.

If you go to Perry's site on page 36 'relays' he has a lot of info on them.

Last edited:
Some HU (head unit) blow the remote if you try to run more than about three amps off them. Best to use a relay, really better to use a smaller 10A relay that draws less but the bosh type are cheap and available and work fine. Run the relay off the HU, then everything off the relay. Back in the day you could run all kinds of stuff off them, but not now just like alarms they want you to use a relay for any current.

Yep, the standard type 30/40amp should work but if I had to use a relay for that it would be the smaller type and it would most likely draw less current from the deck. I'm referring to the type that's roughly half the size of a standard auto relay. Decks nowadays usually have less remote wire current capability, most modern amplifiers (mid 90's to now) require a lot less current for their remote input.
If you really wanted to get technical you could ask Perry for help using a couple of transistors instead and it would be even more efficient, reliable, and have no turn on 'click'.

Last edited:

A Bosch relay draws only about 35mA while practically every HU supplies at least 100mA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.