Reliability and power testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sooo could use some help from those more experienced in this area. Ive been developing a small ribbon for some time now. Would like to put an honest value on the power limits. Most of my destructive testing has been ( to the wifes dismay) repeated sine sweep bursts and extended play of random music pics at full tilt with driver in a "sound proof" box ha yea right. The reliability has to do with diaphragm fracture. Thermal is not an issue.

Things look good BUT would like to get some numbers that fit some kind of standard, or at least close.

I realize this can be a tricky area and I need to keep this simple and inexpensive so please humor my limited ability ;).
At the moment I have the omni mic equipment wich does have a "sudo noise" track but Im unclear if this is similar to Pink noise that I believe is often used for such testing.
AND i guess my first question, if noise is a good way to test , how do we set the power level. As in say we want to test for a 100 watt peak. I assume just set the tallest Pink noise peaks at a level delivering 100 watts at peak??...

Anyway the voice of experience on this would be much appreciated...

Yea not sure Im even asking right question ha. So looking at 'noise" signal on scope its a bunch of grass with some strong peaks every so often. If I want a "system" power rating for the driver im assuming I would set those peaks in the noise at the "system" power peak level and wait to see how long the thing lasts??

So far Ive been doing distructive testing using the 60/40 rule for a 500 hz crossover. Idea is above 500 hz music program power is approx 40% of total. Ive been dumping continuous sine bursts from 20 to 20k into the driver with a 2nd order xover at 500hz. Probly way off in inexperience land here, but have been testing at peak for a 200 watt system meaning im dumping approx 80 watt bursts continuously into this thing. Now Im sure this does not reflect anything near real music program and Im getting diapgragm ruptures at about the 24 hr mark. Anyway the same drivers havent failed in actual use playing music BUT I need a better figure to rate them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.