Rega Planar 1/2/3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to stiffen my old Rega plinth in a manner of the new Planar 3 (see pic).
A (long) while back I saw an ugrade (3rd party probably) to use braces that goes from the tonearm pivot to the bearingand am thinking od using two, top and bottom.
Alas, searching the net I'm unable to find any supplier. Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Rega PL3 Brace.jpg
    Rega PL3 Brace.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 190
Hi, Using this method will just send any bearing noise to the arm, not good. best way to stiffen the plinth is "MAKE A QUALITY PLINTH''
This is certainly the traditional approach, and I would tend to agree with you.

Rega's objective is to employ a lightweight plinth in order to reduce energy storage. However, this approach necessitates the addition of the top brace to maximise the rigidity between the bearing and the arm board.

The new Planar 10 has a skeletal plinth consisting of a foam core, sandwiched under pressure between two layers of laminate, and has a ceramic top brace.

Attachments

• Planar 10.jpg
    Planar 10.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 152
Joined 2011
Rega's objective is to employ a lightweight plinth in order to reduce energy storage. However, this approach necessitates the addition of the top brace to maximise the rigidity between the bearing and the arm board.
The new Planar 10 has a skeletal plinth consisting of a foam core, sandwiched under pressure between two
layers of laminate, and has a ceramic top brace.

And it only took Rega nearly a half century to figure this out, very impressive. Maybe now they can lower
the rpm back down to 33 1/3 instead of deliberately running too fast to liven things up.

Last edited:
Belt drives need to be adjustable to correct for belt stretch and tension and pulley wear, which is why all the decent belt turntables tend to have stroboscope markings built-in and an adjuster. Its not rocket science to automate this either, but it is extra complexity and cost.

Forcing people to add tape to subplatters isn't ideal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.