Rega mods possible for a goldring gr1.2?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, here's my story...
I think I can get my hands on a new goldring gr1.2 tt for €125 which is a very good price round these parts...
What I want to know is what sort of upgrage path would I be able to go for.
I know the tonearm is derived from the rb250, would I be able to fit the upgraded counterweights designed for the original rb250?
What about the motor and the main bearing, would I be able to apply the mods for these as well? I know that the dia for the goldrings main bearing is 12mm, what's the dia of the planars main bearing?

Go for the Michell Tecnoweight..period. RB250 standard counterweight is the achilles heel.

You'll also need a stylus force gauge for assurance.

Bearing for Rega P3, and Planar 3 are 18mm bearing.
The Rega P2 have a smaller diameter bearing at 12mm.

You've not stated the age of your TT but if its seen many years of service, clean up the spindle, bearing assembly and relube with 2-3 drops of Hypoid 80W/90 gear lube..thats all thats needed. Some say replace that steel ball with an exotic one like ceramic and it improves the sound...some may believe. I've yet to try this out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.