Reflektor-D builds

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Salas,

I have a couple of 'generic digital' power supply bases with 9 rails on each. 4 of these rails are the DAC and digital processing (isolators, reclockers, etc) supplies. On this base, those supplies are based on 2 Hammond 220D16 transformers, with one secondary used per supply. The secondary feeds a diode bridge of DSEP30-06A diodes (overkill, but in my experience good sounding) and the output C of each supply is a Jensen 47000/25V 4-pole capacitor. I also include a John Swenson transformer-ringing suppression snubber on each secondary (more info on that here: Good linear PSU(s) for CAPS music player that won't break the bank - Page 12 - Music Servers - Audiophile Style ).

All of these come together at a 16-pin Hirose connector which allows me to plug and play various digital sources.

Each 'base' also has a supply with a 5V and a 3.3V rail for a source (RaspberryPi, SDCard player, or similar), a lightly-filtered quick-drop-out supply for an on-off mute relay, and an output stage supply with a +-21V output where needed.

For the Allo.com Katana, I use just 2 of the DAC/digital processing rails. Sonics are slightly better if I use one rail from each transformer.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. These bases are built onto a large bamboo cutting board which also acts as the siting platform for the digital source in use. My other base like this uses some discontinued Amveco toriod transformers instead of the Hammonds. At some point I need to compare sonics between the 2 versions.

Finished these two minis a while back. They're powering an Amanero/Chronos/Rhea stack and a BIII pro se (9028)

Attachments

• IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 338
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I made it for general use to avoid SMPS adapter noise. To be simple, steady, non reactive, low noise, easily adaptable, easily serviceable. For comparisons with various good linear series regulators I don't know. It should be as good as DCSTB at least.