• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

New dam1021 firmware didn't work for me (rev1 board), think it gets stuck in uManager:

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 474
Hello, my Rev 5 board cames with 1.06 firmware, I have performed the firmware upgrade flawlessly to 1.19, with putty app, and reduced the fifo parameters, otherwise I could not achive the 100% upload. I have been listen in raw mode which is a good surprise...

Fifo parameters reduced? You too had problem with stuck upload?

I'll try tomorrow or even today on a PC with real serial port.

Regards

OK, I've updated from 1.06 to 1.19 and I do have very distorted sound now. Audio was fine before. I've reverted back to 1.06 but sound is still distorted. Any clue?
EDIT: nevermind, shutting it down longer solved the problems. Thank you Soeren for providing the update!

Last edited:
As I described in the Soekris DAC build thread, I use the following convertor:
PL2303TA USB TTL to RS232 Converter Serial Cable module for win 8 XP VISTA 7 8.1 | eBay

It is very cheap, easy to implement and works fine.

I use Terraterm and followed these instructions:
Soekris dam 1021 R-2R DAC ILLUSTRATED GUIDE | H i F i D U I N O

(and add the update command in case of firmware upgrade)

The v1.19 update worked fine for me. I did not draw conclusions regarding the updated filters yet. For now, I reverted back to the party pack with the EQHQ_lpbr_b4 filter. This is still my favorite filter, though I should spend more time to compare it to the new filters.

New firmware and filters for dam1021

Ok, the new dam1021 firmware and 4K anti-aliasing filters are now up at Soekris Engineering ApS, Downloads

The main new function is the new and improved anti-aliasing filters, now supporting double the number of taps, so up to 4K taps at 44.1 Ksps. Reports from dac1xxx users indicates that the new filters are great and worth an upgrade....

The volume command is now more robust, and there is a new runtime phase select function, PN | PI, where PN is normal and PI is invert.

Please let me know if there are other wishes.

@Soekris: thank you for the firmware update, it is much appreciated!

I thought that the PN/PI commands were already supported in previous firmware?

Regarding future firmware updates, hereby my wishlist... :D
(most important wishes on top)
1. Feature to test for bit perfectness. E.g. it would be great if I could read out 1kbyte chunks from the DAC via serial to test my audio signal path through Windows. The chunk could start once non-zero samples are found.
2. Way to read out (average) level of jitter corrections by PLL. With this a more scientific way to compare jitter performance of input solutions would be available.
3. 28 or 32 bit input via USB/I2S. Gives more resolution in case of filter processing on PC side.
4. Clip counter readout via serial. Detects clipping in internal DAM filter processing (or at output). With reset option.
5. Option to disable/enable any IIR filter (either in persistent or non-persistent way). Even better would it be if IIR filter parameters could be updated on the fly (to allow for EQ reconfigurations).

A feature to read out audio data chunks (& measuring jitter level) would greatly help in analyzing the root causes for loss in audio performance between different audio APIs. I hear a clear difference in audio quality between ASIO and kernel streaming. I believe kernel streaming is the more accurate path (as dynamics and separation of layers are better), but I would like to know for sure. I will try out (exclusive mode) WASAPI on short term as a 2nd reference.

My firmware feature wish list:

1.) I also would like to have informations on clipping/saturation - perhaps more detailed: saturation at intermediate frequency level (FIR1-level), saturation at final frequency level (FIR2-level), clipping due to mapping to the R2R ladder.
Also it would be nice, next to the serial readout, to have a clipping indicator light via an unused pin - if possible.

2.) I also would like to have 28/32 bit input.

3.) A possible real bypass of the FIR1 section with 352.8/384kHz input. currently there is an unavoidable attenuation due to the multiplicator restricted to be less than 1.

4.) A possibility to set the maximum level of the volume control by the settings.

I've sucessfully uploaded and updated new 1.19 firmware. Now it reads rev 1.19 and FPGA rev 1.19. Later today I'll try if everything is OK soundwise (no distorted sound, input lock etc.)

Firmware update was successful, in my case, only with old PC with real COM ports and Hyperterminal. (Windows XP)

Regards

I've sucessfully uploaded and updated new 1.19 firmware. Now it reads rev 1.19 and FPGA rev 1.19. Later today I'll try if everything is OK soundwise (no distorted sound, input lock etc.)

Firmware update was successful, in my case, only with old PC with real COM ports and Hyperterminal. (Windows XP)

Regards

Everything OK. DAM sounds good, listening SOFT filter. Can say much about sound difference, but it works which is good :p :D

Hmm...downloading 1.19 goes fine and says ‘downloaded and programmed’. But when I type the ‘update’ command it comes up with Incorrect Image to the right of ‘are you sure?’ Upon typing y it says Invalid Command. And after power cycling the green lock LED is solid on music but no sound.

Anyone had this? Must be missing something but I’ve tried going back to the 1.06 full package - which also says Incorrect Image after update but actually plays.

I try to build a balance dac with two dam1121,I set one dam1121 MCFG3..0 is 0010 and connect a external SI570 with I2C bus for left channel; I set the other dam1121 SCFG3..0 is 0101,but the master board isn't lock.Master serial port print "M3" and" L000",and the slaver board serial port print" S4"" L384",I can't understand what M3 and S4 with my MCFG&SCFG setting.I have try with I2S and spdif ,the LOCK LED in master is always blink.What might be the problem?

Hmm...downloading 1.19 goes fine and says ‘downloaded and programmed’. But when I type the ‘update’ command it comes up with Incorrect Image to the right of ‘are you sure?’ Upon typing y it says Invalid Command. And after power cycling the green lock LED is solid on music but no sound.

Anyone had this? Must be missing something but I’ve tried going back to the 1.06 full package - which also says Incorrect Image after update but actually plays.

I too had an incorrect image message after update, but works OK on v1.19.

:rolleyes: