• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Thank you Nige2000,
The diynihk looks very nice.
ive only tried amanero and jlsounds oem also in this position
They also have very precise voltage regulators for +_12V or 3.3V. What would you advice for dam1021 powering ? For batteries, I will try later.
i suppose some of the shunts the guys use here should be good too maybe they will advise
For TVC connexion on the raw se output, you sais there was no DC, what does it mean ?
well i assumed that if your using a transformer was to decouple dc voltage whilst avoiding using a cap (like the dddac has) and buffer
You talked about à Jfet buffer, diynihk propose à LME49880 DIP Version Dual JFET Input Ultra High Quality Audio Operational : do you think it could be à good match ?
im not familar i was thinking more like the pass b1 buffer or http://hifisonix.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/UBx.pdf

Hi,
I bought the v3 and some high precision regulators.
For mois, what I understood :
Vref : 4 caps like 470 or 680 uF at +-4V reg or 16 caps directly to the switch, or both ?
Caps low ESR like Nichicon FP, others better ?
0.1 ohm bypass resistor and jumper to the other
Am I right ?
I also saw it was possible to replace the RC output filter cap : can you advice caps value and Quality ?
Are there other simple mods that can be implimented ?
Many thanks in avance
Jules

Hi,
I bought the v3 and some high precision regulators.
For mois, what I understood :
Vref : 4 caps like 470 or 680 uF at +-4V reg or 16 caps directly to the switch, or both ?
Caps low ESR like Nichicon FP, others better ?
0.1 ohm bypass resistor and jumper to the other
Am I right ?
I also saw it was possible to replace the RC output filter cap : can you advice caps value and Quality ?
Are there other simple mods that can be implimented ?
Many thanks in avance
Jules

The rev 2 and rev 3 vref buffers are different from the rev1 design that really needed modification, unless you fully understand the vref buffer circuit I don't recommend you touch it....

Hello Soren,

I have one board Rev1 0,02% and one board Rev3 0,02% and want to go the true balanced way. Can you tell me what to change on board Rev1 so that it is almost the same as the Rev3 board and I can use both in true balanced mode? The wiring of two boards for balanced mode shouldn't be the problem but I need to know the difference on Vref-Buffer and how much capacitance I have to add on each shift-register. SMD soldering is not that problem for me.

I have done the factory mod, but as you said recently the vref-buffer in Rev3 is different to vref-buffer on the other two Rev's.

I love this dam1021 really much but I don't want to buy a second board from Rev3. I hope you can give me an answer.

Thank you in Advance
Johannes

Hello Soren,

I have one board Rev1 0,02% and one board Rev3 0,02% and want to go the true balanced way. Can you tell me what to change on board Rev1 so that it is almost the same as the Rev3 board and I can use both in true balanced mode? The wiring of two boards for balanced mode shouldn't be the problem but I need to know the difference on Vref-Buffer and how much capacitance I have to add on each shift-register. SMD soldering is not that problem for me.

I have done the factory mod, but as you said recently the vref-buffer in Rev3 is different to vref-buffer on the other two Rev's.

I love this dam1021 really much but I don't want to buy a second board from Rev3. I hope you can give me an answer.

Thank you in Advance
Johannes

Almost the same here: I have a rev. 2 combined 0.02/0.01 board. I'd like to go balanced - what do I do? Can I just buy rev. 3? Do you happen to have 1 hybrid board rev. 2 still left in stock?

Lucho

Sören: On the V3 boards, is the hole footprint for extra caps 3.5mm or what dimensions?

The holes are nom 26 mil - 0.66 mm diameter, most smaller caps up to Ø10 are spec'ed at 0.5-0.6 mm and should fit....

Btw, I forgot to mark + and - on the PCB, will mark a picture at some point, until then:

C166-C168, C172-C174: Plus is towards the XLR plugs.
C169-C171, C175-C177: Plus is away from the XLR plugs.

I'll recommend to verify with a multimeter....

For people who want to use two boards from different production lots in balanced mode here is how each of the four vref buffers look like from the factory:

Original rev1: 10R series resistors, 22 uF output capacitor, 330 pF feedback capacitor and 499R feedback resistor

Factory upd rev1 and prod rev2: 0.1R series resistor, 47 uF output capacitor, 499R resistors mounted in both capacitor and feedback resistor position, creating an effective 0.050R vref buffer output impedance.

Prod rev3: 0.1R series resistor, 47 uF + 3x 100 uF output capacitors, 1K00 resistor mounted in feedback capacitor position (orange), 301R resistor mounted in feedback resistor position (yellow), creating an effective 0.025R vref buffer output impedance.

Colors on attached drawing:

Red: Output capacitor.
Blue: Series Resistor.
Orange: Feedback capacitor (now used for resistors).
Yellow: Feedback resistor.

Attachments

• dam1021_top3_vref_caps.JPG
    dam1021_top3_vref_caps.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 714