• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Reducing Signal Level Without Affecting Tone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Subject basically sums it up...is there any way I can reduce the signal in the preamp without compromising the tone? The 2 general ways I know how are lowering the resistor to ground (which reduces bass) or increasing the resistor in the signal path (which cuts off treble)...hoping there is another way that I'm just not aware of. Thanks for the help.

Do you have a schematic of the preamp?

One easy way is adding a resistor in series with the input to your volume pot, and it won't affect the tone.

Increasing the resistor in the signal path won't decrease treble. Decreasing a resistor, say a control grid leak resistor after a capacitor will decrease the bass.

Removing the cap on the cathode might do it. (The one(s) paralleling Rk).

Removing the cathode bypass cap, if you have one, will decrease gain by about 1/3 to 1/2 AND decrease distortion. That's a good thing.

If you add a 100K resistor in series with the input of the volume pot, and your
volume pot is 100K, you'll cut your signal in half.

If your preamp or amp is tubed, there are several other things you can do to lower gain and distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.