Red Flex Cable!! BROKEN!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,
I JUST got my new Lilliput and for the past couple of days I have been slowly stripping it, making sure everything is fine and that I DO NOT go to fast. Well, I think my worst nightmare just came true. At the final stage of stripping the Lilliput, when I was taking the LCD out of the metal casing, one of the Red flex cables ripped that connects the LCD to the controller board. Now I know this is everyone's worst nightmare, but is there ANYWAY at all I can even possible fix this. One of the cables is still intact, but the bigger one is the one that tore. I am open to ALL suggestions. Is there anyway to get eletrical tape or something and try to line them back up perfectly?? I am just throwing out ideas. Also, if this is impossible to fix, what are my other options??? I was SOOOOO close to finishing this project, not to mention it is for school and is GRADED!!!

PLEASE, ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!:( :( :( :(

Hi

Well first of all the big fcc cable :| how did you manage that most people damage the little one.

First of all if you have a very steady hand you could try soldering them but chances are that wont work so your best chance is a new lcd panel looking at around $75 USD i think

Uhm...i know im no expet on this myself as my lilli dont work now but how in gods name do you lot manage to break the FFC at all? granted they are fragile but damn it aint hard to strip a lilli and leave it operational (yes again i know mine is no longer working but that involved alcohol and knocking it of a table) I have seen so many people on this forum break them for god sake just SLOW down and take it easy !!!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
one of the Red flex cables ripped that connects the LCD to the controller board. Now I know this is everyone's worst nightmare, but is there ANYWAY at all I can even possible fix this.

Impossible!!!!!

These arent solderd on, they are welded with a special plasma welder at the factory, and are far too small to repair.

When you strip the new one, dont take those cables out, they dont need to be taken out, take the screws out that hold the small pcb out instead and the white fcc only. Dont let it flap around too much either................ or the inevitable will happen again.

Trev:)

ace3000_1 said:

Impossible!!!!!

These arent solderd on, they are welded with a special plasma welder at the factory, and are far too small to repair.

When you strip the new one, dont take those cables out, they dont need to be taken out, take the screws out that hold the small pcb out instead and the white fcc only. Dont let it flap around too much either................ or the inevitable will happen again.

Wait, what cables shouldnt I take out the next time I strip it?? I just want to be perfectly clear so this NEVER happens again.

Also, can I just buy a replacement LCD similar to the one here:

http://www.exclusiv-online.com/shop/index.php?main=product&art=HIPANEL

Anyone have a spare one or know any better places to buy them??

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
superintendent said:

Wait, what cables shouldnt I take out the next time I strip it?? I just want to be perfectly clear so this NEVER happens again.

Also, can I just buy a replacement LCD similar to the one here:

http://www.exclusiv-online.com/shop/index.php?main=product&art=HIPANEL

Anyone have a spare one or know any better places to buy them??

I had a spare but i just sold it .................well he still has to pay yet.

Dont take any red cables out at all and all will be fine, only take out the white fcc's and note which way they come out. By all means never have power to the controller card when putting in the fcc's either as this will distroy the small controller pcb high speed data chip, its very sensitive and thats the one to watch out for with static.

ace3000_1 said:

I had a spare but i just sold it .................well he still has to pay yet.

Dont take any red cables out at all and all will be fine, only take out the white fcc's and note which way they come out. By all means never have power to the controller card when putting in the fcc's either as this will distroy the small controller pcb high speed data chip, its very sensitive and thats the one to watch out for with static.

Well, thanks for your help Ace, and everyone elses. If the deal falls through, I will glady take the LCD off your hands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.