Recording anomalies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are several tracks in my collection that do something a bit odd....

The Chainsmokers ‘Hope’ is one of them several others which include the artist Beck and the band Gorillaz (more also just can’t remember at the moment)

What happens is you crank it up to what I consider ‘casually loud’ (95db or so at lp) and it’s all good, crisp and clean......then you wanna get a little crazy with it and turn it up a little more and you start to get a little grating glare on top so you think that’s the limit of the recording....everyone’s been there right?

Well if you keep on turning that same track up past what I consider my systems ‘reference point’ (around 100db at lp) into what should be certain distortion levels (based on what was just heard at 95db) But it’s not, it blends into a whole different entity of focus and smoothness at what I measure to be 105db at lp!

Now I know this isn’t good for your hearing but to tell you the truth at age 54 my hearing is still fine and this after a lifetime of front row concerts so although I might just suddenly go deaf someday it’s not today!

I’m not crazy (or high) because it’s been verified on different occasions with the same tracks.
Anyone else ever come across this phenomenon? If so what exactly is going on?
Is it just a certain thing where the stars align for my system and room where it transcends all or is there something else going on?

Also I’m well aware of a recordings limitations as my system is quite revealing and can take other well recorded tracks to the same 105db @ lp clean all the way......It’s the ‘over the plateau’ effect I’m referencing.....like how can it go from ‘good’ to ‘too loud’ and then turned up past that it’s ‘better than good’?

Not complaining.....just curious!

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very very long time ago I had Lowthers on open baffle supported with subwoofers. Driven by Son of Zen and Bride of Son of Zen combo (NP). Occasionally, during parties, the system was pushed past max. Interestingly, despite the distortion, and saturation, and doppler effect, it sounded euphoric and fantastic. Eventual Lowther demise was inevitable. But the parties were fun. No idea about spl though.

Very very long time ago I had Lowthers on open baffle supported with subwoofers. Driven by Son of Zen and Bride of Son of Zen combo (NP). Occasionally, during parties, the system was pushed past max. Interestingly, despite the distortion, and saturation, and doppler effect, it sounded euphoric and fantastic. Eventual Lowther demise was inevitable. But the parties were fun. No idea about spl though.

Exactly......it just seems to only do it with certain recordings.

It’s really something to experience.....just don’t wanna go deaf ‘enjoying’ it!

I don't think it has anything to do with the recordings other than they excite a frequency range that your playback system and/or room is not good with. What is your system?

This is a setup I use for educational purposes and interim system while I put together a new 2.1 main system.

Source....Elac DS-S101-G streamer/server

Main amp....Yamaha R-N 803 (110 wpc/rms)

Sub amp.....sonance sonamp 260 (2.7 ohm rated)

Main speakers.......Burhoe acoustic ‘blues’ (only thing original is tweeters)

Subs.......two 8 ohm precision power 10” (Arizona) wired parallel (mono)
Placed in a stereo configuration (bottoms)

Last edited:
Ok in that case I would say that is scary loud. Most of us consider 85dB average at listening position to be loud with peaks up to 105dB. Certainly that is THX calibration level. Not sure how to explain what you are perceiving in that case.

I know your really gonna think I’m nuts after I say this but here goes anyway!

The perceived sound when this occurs is smooth.....so smooth that it no longer sounds dangerously loud.

In comparison when I play other well recorded tracks to this level some better ones do stay clear and intact up to the same level but dang loud.....The main reason for even being this loud is to test changes I make to the system.....as in how loud I can go before it gets unpleasant.
Most of actual listening is done around 90....no more than 95db @ lp.

The funny thing is these certain tracks get to the ‘unpleasant’ stage and when pushed past that it’s a whole different animal.....pleasant and smooth with a presence that you could only wish for!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
yeah this is outside my knowledge but the ear does funny things to try and protect itself from high SPLs and one of those mechanisms might be in place. Hoping someone who knows will come along!

Edit: checked the manual to see if the Yamaha soft clips but no evidence of that.

yeah this is outside my knowledge but the ear does funny things to try and protect itself from high SPLs and one of those mechanisms might be in place. Hoping someone who knows will come along!

Edit: checked the manual to see if the Yamaha soft clips but no evidence of that.

Thanks Bill......if it were a ear thing I would think it would be noticeable across the board.
This is definately a physical change in the reproduction itself.....Im gonna do a average fr before and after to see if it shows any differences will post it up here in a few minutes.

Simple way to answer that one, do others experience exactly the same phenomena?

Dunno.....good question though!

There’s no way my wife could sit through that.....there’s a friend coming over next wknd that enjoys ‘loud’ so he’d be the only test subject I can think of, will see what he thinks.

Adason seems to have experienced the same thing.

Here’s the b4 and after......doesn’t look like any noticeable changes except it flattens out a little, maybe it’s got to do with a type of harmonic blending? (For lack of better term)

Edit....the downward slope on top is by design, fr looks like that on about everything.

Attachments

• 479D677E-0E4D-49AF-ADBB-0E1F259E794D.jpg
    479D677E-0E4D-49AF-ADBB-0E1F259E794D.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 79
  • D9C59131-3AFC-4CBF-8FB0-8680D2D5B60B.jpg
    D9C59131-3AFC-4CBF-8FB0-8680D2D5B60B.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Dunno, heard they're quite good, doesn't matter though, you are reporting what you hear. My money is on something to do with your ears, we shall see ;)

I know the bones of your inner ear separate when exposed to constant loudness
(This is what causes temp deafness after a loud concert) but then like I said it should be across the board?

Well like you say if my buddy agrees to be a test dummy (I’ve subjected him to similar tests over the yrs so shouldn’t be a problem).....just have to tell the wives to go walk the dogs for a little bit!

Thanks,
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.