Record player newbie! Help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My boyfriend and I just bought an old Garrard Zero 100 turntable that appears to be in good condition. We know absolutely NOTHING about record players, just admire the sound of a vinyl. We noticed that it needed a new needle and somehow misplaced the cartridge after taking it out to research where to get one. Can anyone help these turntable virgins? Any leads would be greatly appreciated! :)

You may have gotten yourself into quite something there. A Zero 100 is not exactly the ideal starter 'table - they are quite complex and likely to be in need of some work. Read more.

I hope you misplaced only the cartridge itself (which may be sufficiently annoying as-is if it was something fancy), and not the headshell along with it.

For a beginner, I would prefer something a little more "plug'n'play", like one of Technics' T4P models. (I know you're not exactly drowning in suitable cartridges, but still.) The SL-DD/QD series are pretty basic-looking, rather commonplace '80s "plastic fantastic" models but decent 'tables, and usually quite inexpensive. They may not be as vibration-proof as some subchassis-equipped constructions, but some application of physics should fix that (put 'em on something heavy that is placed on elastic feet of some kind).

Be warned that high-quality vinyl playback isn't a super cheap hobby - the diminishing returns curve is far less steep when compared to digital audio, and there's a lot more fiddling involved. Not to mention that the quality of modern pressings may be all over the place (needs washing first, off-center holes, ...).

Well......... we all had to start somewhere so ......so,..don't let that scare you . :)

Having said that, a while "Zero 100" is not the best, it is a fairly good turntable none the less. I actually purchased one back in the '70s

Hopefully yours actually is in good shape . I would suggest that you read as much as you can about it including how to refurbish it .
Most every vintage TT needs some refurbishing .

On thing, does it hold accurate speed? It my vary just slightly but that is normal for them.

Don't rush into anything...... do your research before purchasing or doing anything .
As already alluded to, vinyl playback is more complex than digital and demands user input and some knowledge about it .

BTW.. welcome to vinyl ! :)

EDIT..
A cartridge and stylus are normally not considered part of a turntable and are normally purchased separately . The Zero 100 takes a cartridge with a standard 1/2 inch mount .

Last edited:
I've owned a couple of these - still have one somewhere.

A great resource for these units is Vinyl Engine - The Home of the Turntable

As with any older mechanical device there is plenty to know up front to get the best (or even anything) from a Zero 100 I won't repeat it I'll just encourage you to read and ask questions.

IMO the Zero 100 is a classic. Its certainly never going to be the best sonically and its a PITA mechanically, but visitors will always be intrigued by its parallel arm and flashing strobe when its running, and it has a great 1960's-70's vibe to it.

BTW, treat the cartridge slide (the plastic piece the cartridge mounts to) like its a lost Van Gogh painting. They are becoming unobtainium.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.