Recommend me a good quad soic opamp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the same boat - building an active crossover and need more space on the PCB. It has been a while since I investigated the opamp 'du jour'.

Last time I checked it about 8 years back it was LM4562 and a brief search of the 'net shows this IC has fallen out of favour as too clinical and not musical (also a dual not quad).

So I have the same question - What is the latest fashion in opamps? :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do not discount the venerable TL074 (as long as your circuit impedances are not to low). Despite what you may read, the TLO series are capable of truly excellent performance when used for line level circuitry.

OPA1604 is a modern 'audiophile' smd only Quad part.

The 4562 dual opamp remains a personal favourite. Hard to fault this one.

opa4134. Good old workhorse. Drives correctly lower loads than the tl074 (can be useful for filters), sounds good, forgiving wrt implementation (not faster than necessary for audio), quite cheap, comes in soic14, jfet input makes it easy to implement.

Specs wise, it still holds its own against most newer devices, for audio use at least. Downsides may be highish power consumption and dropout.

The LME49743 is in production but no one seems to stock it. The LME49720 is a dual in stock most everywhere, current production and $3.00 each.

As with all LME types you will need to use a small inductor on the inputs. A 100 ohm resistor with ten turns of wire around it will do.

I've always found duals much handier to layout in active filters

esp with quads and even smt R,C you simply don't have room for better quality R,C parts and good layout with quad op amps and biquad or multiple fedback active filters - maybe with state variable that uses more op amps

some may complain about the "extra" power routing - but then I go 4-layer even for hobbby builds if it needs a PCB at all

The LME49743 is in production but no one seems to stock it. The LME49720 is a dual in stock most everywhere, current production and $3.00 each.

As with all LME types you will need to use a small inductor on the inputs. A 100 ohm resistor with ten turns of wire around it will do.

Try getting that on a datasheet. If true that alone would be enough for our guys to obsolete them all.

Try getting that on a datasheet. If true that alone would be enough for our guys to obsolete them all.

I found the issue when building a sensitive preamp. Passing trucks caused it to pin. JC had a tech find adding 100 ohms to the input of a phono preamp cut out RFI. Today he uses the resistor coil to save the noise figure. This has been discussed before and a few other folks have noted the issue.

Way back when you and I discussed this you mentioned the issue could be not enough current in the input stage.

If you would like I can send you some samples.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.