Recommend a subwoofer design for my application:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running an active cross three way stereo triamplified (six channel) system.

My bass cabinets are vented EBS3, each carrying one EVX-180B driven by one channel of a QSC PLX3102. These cabinets are nicely flat to 32 Hz, and do extend lower than that to some extent. I have disabled the 32 Hz "subsonic" filter on the QSC, and instead implemented a 48 dB/octave L-R active slope at 20 Hz to roll off the subsonics and prevent driver overexcursion - the natural roll-off of the driver is somewhat higher than this. So configured, I'm pretty happy with the way these cabinets sound for music and movies, however I am definitely missing something on the extreme low end, and I was hoping to augment this infrasonic-to-low-sonic range with an additional sub.

Ideally, I would like something that can keep up with my mains (which are well into 130+ dB), but which cover the bottom octaves only, crossed at 32 Hz on the upper end, and extending down to 16 Hz at minimum, and 8 Hz if at all feasible. The project will be DIY, and difficulty is not really an issue. My budget is not set in stone, but I am thinking about $1K for amplification and $800 - $1K for drivers/enclosure, maximum. Huge transmission lines are probably out because I only have 8' ceilings.

Suggestions?

I am running an active cross three way stereo triamplified (six channel) system.

My bass cabinets are vented EBS3, each carrying one EVX-180B driven by one channel of a QSC PLX3102. These cabinets are nicely flat to 32 Hz, and do extend lower than that to some extent. I have disabled the 32 Hz "subsonic" filter on the QSC, and instead implemented a 48 dB/octave L-R active slope at 20 Hz to roll off the subsonics and prevent driver overexcursion - the natural roll-off of the driver is somewhat higher than this. So configured, I'm pretty happy with the way these cabinets sound for music and movies, however I am definitely missing something on the extreme low end, and I was hoping to augment this infrasonic-to-low-sonic range with an additional sub.

Ideally, I would like something that can keep up with my mains (which are well into 130+ dB), but which cover the bottom octaves only, crossed at 32 Hz on the upper end, and extending down to 16 Hz at minimum, and 8 Hz if at all feasible. The project will be DIY, and difficulty is not really an issue. My budget is not set in stone, but I am thinking about $1K for amplification and $800 - $1K for drivers/enclosure, maximum. Huge transmission lines are probably out because I only have 8' ceilings.

Suggestions?
verry narrow band
@ what freq you x-over to the mids?
is it mayby possible to redesign the ev 18"?
tapped horn or tqtp should go lower ,130 db is a challenge.

verry narrow band
@ what freq you x-over to the mids?
is it mayby possible to redesign the ev 18"?
tapped horn or tqtp should go lower ,130 db is a challenge.

As it stands, I am crossing over to my mids (18Sound 10M600 on one channel each of QSC PLX1802) at 254 Hz, and then to my highs (JBL 2441 compression drivers on 2382A horns, on a QSC PLX1104) at 2kHz.

This actually measures and sounds decent in the room; however, I am using more EQ than I like to do this - I think I might add a midbass between the EVX-180B and the 10M600 at some point to clean things up a little. That is looking long-term, though. I would prefer to focus on the portion of the spectrum which is missing entirely, which is the infrasonic and low sub range. I designed my bass cabs specifically for the EVX180B, and for their intended purpose, they work perfectly. High SPL, low distortion, and decent extension for that driver; however, they were designed for music / sound reinforcement, and not for theater / synthesized low frequency effects which is the material I am trying to address with the new sub.

Although a LFE cabinet which could reproduce the same SPL as the existing system would be ideal, I suppose this is unnecessary in consideration of the fact that I would never exhibit movies etc. at maximum SPL. That sort of power I only rarely use for sound reinforcement of material for which that sort of thing is expected. :cool:

What is tqtp?

As it stands, I am crossing over to my mids (18Sound 10M600 on one channel each of QSC PLX1802) at 254 Hz, and then to my highs (JBL 2441 compression drivers on 2382A horns, on a QSC PLX1104) at 2kHz.

This actually measures and sounds decent in the room; however, I am using more EQ than I like to do this - I think I might add a midbass between the EVX-180B and the 10M600 at some point to clean things up a little. That is looking long-term, though. I would prefer to focus on the portion of the spectrum which is missing entirely, which is the infrasonic and low sub range. I designed my bass cabs specifically for the EVX180B, and for their intended purpose, they work perfectly. High SPL, low distortion, and decent extension for that driver; however, they were designed for music / sound reinforcement, and not for theater / synthesized low frequency effects which is the material I am trying to address with the new sub.

Although a LFE cabinet which could reproduce the same SPL as the existing system would be ideal, I suppose this is unnecessary in consideration of the fact that I would never exhibit movies etc. at maximum SPL. That sort of power I only rarely use for sound reinforcement of material for which that sort of thing is expected. :cool:

What is tqtp?
sorry its tqwtp tapped quarter wave tapered pipe

something like this

16hz.jpg

bms 18 860
klik on the pic to enlarge,then klik bottem left to enlarge again

Last edited:
Hi epa,

These designs need very solid corners to give the SPL indicated, maybe 2 x pi would be more appropriate? Two boxes with dual JBL GTO1214 in a DTS-10 style enclosure will also get there, with corner loading.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi epa,

These designs need very solid corners to give the SPL indicated, maybe 2 x pi would be more appropriate? Two boxes with dual JBL GTO1214 in a DTS-10 style enclosure will also get there, with corner loading.

Regards,
hi tb46
i propose of corner loading these anyway.
i was thinking of a single fold.
what do you mean by solid corners?
haven,t moddeled these jbl's yet :)

Hi epa,

A corner in a basement build from concrete would qualify as solid, wouldn't it? Whereas 3/8" plaster board on metal wall studs spaced on 24" centers wouldn't. In the sub 30Hz frequency range sound has a tendency to just go through walls, and the corner effect disappears, you might not even get to 1 x Pi. Measurements would tell, but I would recommend modelling in 2 x Pi.

As to the JBLs, they are inexpensive, and Petter Persson already has done the basic work:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/160879-build-your-own-2x12-th.html

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Hi epa,

A corner in a basement build from concrete would qualify as solid, wouldn't it? Whereas 3/8" plaster board on metal wall studs spaced on 24" centers wouldn't. In the sub 30Hz frequency range sound has a tendency to just go through walls, and the corner effect disappears, you might not even get to 1 x Pi. Measurements would tell, but I would recommend modelling in 2 x Pi.

As to the JBLs, they are inexpensive, and Petter Persson already has done the basic work:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/160879-build-your-own-2x12-th.html

Merry Christmas!

Regards,
ah i see ,i tought you meant the corners in the horn:)
that project looks verry promissing,ill look in to it tomorrow
tnx

Joined 2010
Paid Member
epa,

I know this thread is very old but can you tell me what you finally decided to do?

I have 4 EVX180 drivers and you are right, they are more for SR than bottom feeding bass. But I love the way they sound.

I have just bought an IXL 18.2.2 as I think this will be better for producing ultra lows than the EVX's but can I use both drivers with IXL covering 15 - 40hz and the EVX 40 - 400hz?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.