Rear Projection TV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I too was wondering about this. I could see it, as You said, making the job a little easier for Us DIY'ers as far as a high lumen light source goes. A few good mirriors and a screen....I wonder what would work for a rear projector screen? (Gears turning)

Good Idea!,
Tall Shadow

Sorry boy's, I don't want to bust-your-bubble but a rear projector of the same viewing area needs more light that a front projector. Think about it: front projection on to a reflective white screen or rear projection onto a cloudy piece of glass or plastic that the light must pass through.

The key here is for the same viewing area a rear projector needs a lot more light output from the light source to give you the same brightness.

Later
Bruce:geezer:

Rear projection is easier

Rear projection is easier think about front projection, the light will scatted throughout the room in a front projection tv, now a rear projection tv the light will contained in a smaller space, the inside can be painted black which means less reflection and a brighter picture.
That is what I'm build, it started out as front projection tv but turned into a rear projection tv because i could find a bright light bulb with less heat, as for the screen a translusent material works great I used a translucent shower curtain that works great the image it's fuzzy at all.

TO ME IT IS EASIER

Cowanrg if you look at the prices of rear projection television and a lcd projectior which one is cheaper?

A rear proj. t.v. is just a smaller tv inside of a bigger one; the only problem I see is size. Lcd proj. has lcd, light source, fan and electronics, problems cooling it off, high lumen light source with low heat and outside light making your picture look fade. Now which one is the easiest to build?

hehe, you wont win this one with me...

i sell the things for a living, and the only rear projections worth owning are around $3K+. the mitsubishi diamond series are up to $8K. there is MUCH more than just a tube tv. there are 3 tubes, 7 lenses, fresnel, and lenticular. not to mention electronics, convergence issues, etc.

granted, if you got some projection CRT's, it could be pretty easy (except for maybe converging). but for cost, you might as well build a projector, because picture will look the same, and might as well make it bigger.

plus... front projectors arent that expensive anymore with DLP catching on... very soon here im going to be getting one, and i plan on spending under $2K to get nice 1000+ lumen with HDTV, component hookup, full XGA resolution (scalable to 1600x1200), etc, etc, etc. the same thing in a good rear projection set would be the mitsubishi gold+ series, their 48" entry level.

rmccoll said:
Cowanrg if you look at the prices of rear projection television and a lcd projectior which one is cheaper?

A rear proj. t.v. is just a smaller tv inside of a bigger one; the only problem I see is size. Lcd proj. has lcd, light source, fan and electronics, problems cooling it off, high lumen light source with low heat and outside light making your picture look fade. Now which one is the easiest to build?

cowanrg said:
hehe, you wont win this one with me...

i sell the things for a living,

{Large Snip Here}

very soon here im going to be getting one, and i plan on spending under $2K to get nice 1000+ lumen with HDTV, component hookup, full XGA resolution (scalable to 1600x1200), etc, etc, etc. the same thing in a good rear projection set would be the mitsubishi gold+ series, their 48" entry level.

Well as someone who sells them for a living, What one(s) are You looking at getting? Is the <$2k at Your cost or what anyone could get it for?

I might just buy the/a projector, as I can see that this hobby is going to be more fun/work than I ever expected!:D

Thanks!
Tall Shadow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.