REALLY good cd player - for $70, w/dvd to boot!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JCoffey said:

Hmm, Medowlark, Krell, arcam? Must have been Sound By Singer.....

yup, indeed, he was a Singer rip-off victim. i've been there a couple times and the salespeople were useless, although at least one time i went they were nice enough to set up a demo for me without too much attitude. kind of sad that being treated like a normal human being at a high-end store is considered "exceptional" service...

i met the owner of Innovative once w/my boss, who has bought a ton of expensive gear from them. he was a bit cocky and a little too into the stuff he carried, which to my ears sucked (Revel, B&W, Levinson, etc.), but seemed to be an otherwise reasonable man.

DVD upgrade!

I´ve read about Panasonic DVDs in this forum, and i've got a Panasonic DVD S47 which i use only for music in stereo, because is DVD-Audio compatible and only stereo, and my system is stereo. Its a cheap machine, €69 ($86), so i tried it! Its a well built machine with lot of detail in sound and an average bass quality (punchy type), but turns boring because of its tonal character and flat dynamics presentation!
Electronics as refered for the other Panasonic models are PCM1752 and JRC4560 in this model, so i try a change with an opamp that i've been use since 1998, first with my Philips CD850MkII, then with my Nak CR4 and at last with my NAD C541; the Burr Brown OPA2134!
I also change a fiew caps at the analog path at the power suplly of the dac and the opamps by Elna Silmic II with larger Capacitance, which prove to be a problem due its dimensions!
The original caps are the Nichicon audio grade type series and Elna standard type! OK the update was made and it works, by the way i found the pickup and mechanics awesome superior to the old panasonic cd dvd pick up which is a garbage. It reads everything that i drop in, but return to the sound, it now gain more dynamics, bass texture and detail, more natural midband soft treble with extension , but tonaly it still have a touch of "yellow" character, so i tried an unusual aproach, change and boost the capacitor of the primary of the switch power suplly, from the original 22uF to a 100uF, an it gave much more efect to the sound than i ever suspect! Try it in your device with a good quality cap and see!!
By the way the service manual of the DVD-S47 is sold in the web!
Best regards
PLS

Cone movement when turning the volume? The only time it happened to me was when I connected my h/k amp to my sound card using the speaker out instead of line out.

Every Panasonic gear I bought never was a deception. I have a Panasonic portable CD/MP3 player and it sounds pretty good. It has Panasonic's MASH DAC. I see they just passed to TI instead.

FYI: i don't know if i really recommend the AD8620 anymore as a drop-in opamp replacement. i am starting to find it a little too thin and fatiguing, makes violins sound a bit etched. of course it could be problems in other parts of the circuit that it's simply revealing, but nevertheless if you look at the player holistically (which is really all you can do, since you have to listen to the whole darn thing) it's not a good solution.

i have some OPA2132's on their way to me, carlosfm has suggested them as preferrable (less bright and "hifi") to the 8620. i'm going to try in my Sony 222ES, and if the results are good, i'll drop it into my Panasonic DVD as well. the panasonic has been decomissioned for some time, i didn't have much use for it and the brightness was somewhat irritating in my already lean-sounding system, but perhaps with an opamp swap and chassis damping i can get it sounding better.

dorkus said:
i have some OPA2132's on their way to me, carlosfm has suggested them as preferrable (less bright and "hifi") to the 8620. i'm going to try in my Sony 222ES, and if the results are good, i'll drop it into my Panasonic DVD as well.

I can assure you that the OPA2132 works very well on the Panasonic.
If I remember well, it's single voltage (12V), so please solder an electrolythic cap (47~100uF) right on top of the op-amp, across pins 4 to 8, with very short legs.
If your Sony doesn't have a good clock, I bet you will have much better results with the Panasonic, so don't trust the Sony for a preliminary test.
The Panasonic has very tight bass, something that is strange to any Sony that I've heard (at any price tag) without fitting a good clock.

thanks for the tips carlos. i can't remember if the Panasonic is single-rail or not, will have to check.

yes, the Sony needs a new clock, although compared to some of their other players it has a little more potential - they use a "direct clocking" layout which puts the crystal on the audio daughterboard right next to the DAC chips. it's much preferrable to the clock dividers in most DVD players, but the bass is definitely better on the Panasonic than the Sony. i was meaning to put a better clock on it, like a Tent or Kwak clock, but never got around to it... what's the deal with the "super" clocks these days anyway? i haven't kept up...

I still need to start working on my Panasonic DVD-S35S player.
It does need some extra capacitance in the video section I suppose, with some movies there seems to be some horizontal bands modulation.

The clock generator inside is a BU2286FV adding some 30 ps jitter (no load). BTW This is from the schematic, and different from Dorkus' observations.
A worthwhile mod would be giving this chip it's own low noise power supply with separate transformer.
The crystal used for the PLL of the clock generator is 36.864 MHz

The opamp NJM4580 has indeed a single rail of +12Vdc

I've got the schematics, drop me a pm if you want them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.