Real World - NO BS - Results pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a thread dedicated to no ******** results pictures... please post pictures with the lights on and the lights off, tell us your screen size and actaul setup.

I'll Kick it off.

15" Viewsonic VE150 (350:1, 30ms, 1024x768)
400w HQI Bulb from AStaples
AStaples Fresnell's (which I think have severe uniformity problems compared to other fresnells)
50mm Reflector (Was using Ace's 63mm reflector but it cracked, got too hot? - didnt leave room for exspanion?)
Screen Size = 130" projected on a white wall

all pictures are taken with standard windows gamma, no increase.

Now as with all results pictures, i can say in real life the picture APPEARS uniform but its not, when you drag things from left to right you can see a deffinate brightness increase in the centre of the image.

The pictures im going to attach are indeed quite old and I have improved the uniformity and total brightness 10 fold so I will take some new pictures shortly.

Attachments

• img_0769.jpg
    img_0769.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 978
ELiTeHaYDeN said:
also, do not take pictures with the flash on, this makes everything look brighter than it is.. and makes my projected images look perfect.. corner to corner brightness.

i dont think you got that quite right, with the flash on your camera switched ON you will probable not see a projected image at all. The flash is designed to be very bright and would easily overpower the projected image. Also with the flash on, your camera will reduce exposure times meaning that it will be even less likely to pick up the projected image.

:cool:

Heres my pics, first is obviously lights on and second is lights off.

In the first pic you can see the lamp in the top right, which is shining direct light onto the bottom half of the screen. Lamp is a 75w.

The projector is using a 13.3" LCD screen with a 400w metal halide hydroponics lamp, about 10" long.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The image is 87" diagnol, my room is very small and projector is as far away from the screen as possible. lol

Im regards to lumens, i have no idea, i have never seen a comercial projector that i actually know the lumens of and so cant really make a guess.

p.s. i managed to get the brightness of the image pretty uniform on my projection by moving the condenser fresnel further away from the LCD than the suggested 1"+ , seemed to make image much brighter also.

p.p.s the image is a bit dimmer on the right hand side as you can see in the projection, this is because i didnt do a good job of alligning the projection lens :rolleyes: It needs to be moved right a bit more but havent bothered to sort it out yet.... also i should really get a better projection lens as my lens is really only suitable for 10" max LCD panels and gives me some barrel distortion on the projected image as well.

phillip0101 said:

i dont think you got that quite right, with the flash on your camera switched ON you will probable not see a projected image at all. The flash is designed to be very bright and would easily overpower the projected image. Also with the flash on, your camera will reduce exposure times meaning that it will be even less likely to pick up the projected image.

:cool:

Doesnt have that effect on mine.. this is a pic with the flash on (screen size is 100" this time)

Attachments

• img_0801.jpg
    img_0801.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 872
ELiTeHaYDeN said:

Doesnt have that effect on mine.. this is a pic with the flash on (screen size is 100" this time)

if the flash is on and working properly, why can you see black parts on the image in your screen? doesnt you screen look white in daylight? If you screen looks white in daylight, then why is the black black and not white? surley white light from the sun or a camera flash wont make a white screen show black parts on an image.

The projected image can only show a black as dark as the screen looks in what ever lighting conditions, be it daylight where a black will look as white as the screen or be it in the dark where a black will show as dark as what a white sheet would look like in the dark.... which would be black..... lol

heres my image with the flash on: tell me how im going to display black (which is no light) on that screen... i cant project black can i? seeing as black isnt light.

p.s. the lights are off in my room on the pic below

Attachments

• flash.jpg
    flash.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 653
diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
heres my image with the flash on: tell me how im going to display black (which is no light) on that screen... i cant project black can i? seeing as black isnt light.

The black from a lcd monitor isnt black and can be projected, though imo, not much in these setups ;). Dark brown can too.

i dont think you got that quite right, with the flash on your camera switched ON you will probable not see a projected image at all. The flash is designed to be very bright and would easily overpower the projected image.

Not at all, aslong as you have intensity you can take a pic of an image with the flash on. Screen materal plays a role here, somthing with gain will wash out the image with a flash, the more gain the screen has, the more it washes out from the flash. This is where glass beaded screens suc when there is any ambient light.

Trev:)

Ill add to this ....

Samsung 15" LCD
400W Eye bulb w/norpro reflector
screen size, is 11 1/2 feet

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Lights ON!!!!

ELiTeHaYDeN said:
those are some decents pics, in the light on picture is that direct light or?

Ill have some pictures tomorow, i have a 100w bulb less than 2m away from the screen

What sorta screen is that? tripple blackout cloth?

The screen is just the usual blackout cloth, but in the longer width that lumenlab sales (I think the standard width is 54", while the lumenlab width is 110" wide) You definatly need a wider width for a large screen like mine.

The light hitting the screen is direct on, coming from the right you will notice the light being brighter, thats because of a metal I-beam that blocks some of it from the top of the screen. In that area of the basement are 3 60W light bulbs with no shade. I dont think its watchable in the basement as is, but in a typical living room with one or two lamps, both with lamp shades it very well could be watchable

Pics seem a little fuzzed. Ray's face for example should have some texture on the skin. Pores even. Not sure how much loss is from the jpg and how much from the huge size. A huge picture needs an expensive lens to keep it all focused. Was this 1024x768?

Me2! said:
Pics seem a little fuzzed. Ray's face for example should have some texture on the skin. Pores even. Not sure how much loss is from the jpg and how much from the huge size. A huge picture needs an expensive lens to keep it all focused. Was this 1024x768?

yes its 1024x768 ... and I have the lumenlab lenses .... Which are not known to be of bad quality.

The camera is my downfall being a 2MP, I also just held the camera in my hand. I take lots of pics and often dont have the patience to lay the camera flat on an object. Nor do I have a tripod for it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.