Re: Balance to Un-Balance Converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Balance to Un-Balance Converter

Hi there,

Attached image is the balance to un-balance converter of my Alesis RA300 power amp.

I would like to know what is the difference of the performance wise if use this converter to convert balance signal to un-balance or just simple solder the pin 3 and pin 1 together inside the XLR cable.

Please advice. Thanks

Attachments

• alesis_ra300[1]-page-001R.jpg
    alesis_ra300[1]-page-001R.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 236
If u have to use a long cable for interconnecting, then balanced is good as it cancels noise picked up by the cable, since it(noise) is common mode. If your connection is short, better use the Ji1. You will find no difference, but do not short 1 and 3 as you will get noise.

Gajanan Phadte

If u have to use a long cable for interconnecting, then balanced is good as it cancels noise picked up by the cable, since it(noise) is common mode. If your connection is short, better use the Ji1. You will find no difference, but do not short 1 and 3 as you will get noise.

Gajanan Phadte

Hi Gajanan

Thank you for your reply.

I know the pros and cons of balanced connection. Personally I prefer to use balanced connection for my home stereo system because I always think XLR connectors and receptacles are better and stronger built than RCAs and a well made RCA connectors and sockets such as WBT cost a lot of money than a well made XLR connectors and receptacles such as Neutrik.

Recently, I am trying to change my system from RCA to XLR connection. The reason why I ask about the difference between the converter and solder pin 1and pin 3 togeter is because when I connect the signal source to the input of the XLR converter, the sound came out from the speakers are seriously distorted, loudly, foggy and lacking dynamics. However if I solder the pin 1 and pin 3 together and connect the XLR cable direct to the input of the power amp. The sound becomes normal.

Therefore, in this case, I would like to know what is the advantage to design and use a balanced to un-balanced converter if simple soldering pin 1 and pin 3 of a XLR cable together can do a better job.

It should show no difference. Something is not correct.

Gajanan Phadte
Hi Gajanan

Thank you for your reply.

... dynamics. However if I solder the pin 1 and pin 3 together and connect the XLR cable direct to the input of the power amp. The sound becomes normal.

Therefore, in this case, I would like to know what is the advantage to design and use a balanced to un-balanced converter if simple soldering pin 1 and pin 3 of a XLR cable together can do a better job.

It should show no difference. Something is not correct.

Gajanan Phadte

Hi Gajnan

Thank you for posting again.
The problem was fixed. It was caused by mis-setting of the gain of the un-balance to balance converter. And I reset it from 20db to 26 db which is the gain of the original design then the problem is no longer exist.

Now, I have another question, hope this is the last one:

The output impedance of my pre-amp which is the New Frontier Balanced pre-amp designed by Mr. Erno Borberly. The pre-amp has an output impedance of 10K. I hooked it up with the crossover which is the Behringer CX3400. CX3400 has an input impedance of 50K (balanced).

Will the impedances between the output of the pre-amp and the input of the crossover cause any matching problem? Please advice.

You are making me angry.
There is no way Borbely's design has an output impedance of 10k.

Hi Andrew

Yes, he did. Below was Borbely descripted about the output impedance of his New Frontier Balanced Pre-amp:

"A much more important question is
whether these circuits can drive the
input impedance of a power amplifier.
The output impedance of the amps ex-
amined is basically equal to the drain resistor
of the amplifier. If RD = 10k, then
the output impedance is also close to
10k. But if the input impedance of the
power amp is also 10k, then you are certainly
in trouble. First, you lose 6dB of
gain by the voltage division between the
10k resistors; second, the 10k input will
most likely load the output and cause a
lot of THD. Even with 20k or 50k input
impedance, you might run into problems.
It is advisable to put an impedance
transformer at the output to avoid this.
Source followers to the rescue!"

Or take a look at the full description of the pre-amp I attached here:

Attachments

• New Frontier Pre-Amp Part 2.pdf
    121.7 KB · Views: 53
The output impedance is not 10K. It is very low (2.3 ohm), no problem driving a power amp with 10K input impedance.

I've attached an excerpt from pg 19. The Jfets, Q5, Q6 and Q7, Q8 are White Cathode Followers (from the days of vacuum tubes). They essentially buffer the outputs of the differential so that you can drive a power amp.

Attachments

• WHITE CATHODE FOLLOWER.gif
    WHITE CATHODE FOLLOWER.gif
    40.3 KB · Views: 61
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.