RCA Plugs on interconnects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Really pleased to have been able to put some new plugs on my Anti-Cable interconnects. It took a while to work out all the horrendous noises coming from my speakers where a result of interconnects breaking inside the plugs and shorting out and not the result of poor kit assembly or soldering.

I almost threw them out on the spot given the grief and possible damage they've caused but Anti-Cable seem to be silly price territory now so I wanted to salvage something out of them. Quick look on Ali-express and I found replacement plugs for a dollar each. They look and feel pretty good and the internal clamp squished down nicely on the springy anti-cables. Nice fix.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

Oh the horror cables without shielding - won't someone think of the children!!

Get over it they work very well indeed. The tighter coiled cables as pictured are sold for phono applications to reduce the chance of any interference. I suppose the theory is that the outer ground wire shields the one carrying the signal bit like a faraday cage.

I'll need longer cables soon for Monoblocks that I want to put nearer the speakers perhaps once cables get longer there is a bigger problem.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The theory is bunk. To reduce the chance of intereference with a cox you need as much coverage as possible. This has very little so will not work well. It also has no real strain relief so as you have found it will fracture the return connection over time.

The signal actually goes down both wires. Kirchoffs law. One out one back.

Get over it they work very well indeed. The tighter coiled cables as pictured are sold for phono applications to reduce the chance of any interference.
I have nothing to get over, as I have not paid a lot of money for junk. They do even worse (looser) cables too? If you really want to reduce the chance of interference then you need to buy an ordinary commercial quality cable, not 'audiophile' garbage. Fortunately, analogue audio is a fairly undemanding application of low speed electronics so rubbish cables can often work OK.

Oh the horror cables without shielding - won't someone think of the children!!
Get over it they work very well indeed.
No they don't work well at all! All unbalanced interconnects need shielding.

The tighter coiled cables as pictured are sold for phono applications to reduce the chance of any interference.
That's as poor of a plan as you can get.

I suppose the theory is that the outer ground wire shields the one carrying the signal bit like a faraday cage.
That's not how electrical signals work.

No they don't work well at all! All unbalanced interconnects need shielding.

That's as poor of a plan as you can get.

That's not how electrical signals work.

Tell the guy that sells them. I bought the speaker cables first and they sound great and followed with ICs the only problems which have emerged recently from a lot manhandling making the IC brittle at or inside the plugs. As for hearing interference i’ve Had none till I re-arranged all the new stuff i’ve built and my speakers are good for 106db per watt.

Do the same criticisms apply to this IC?

"Each ****** Interconnect is made by hand because this is the only way to build a cable that has the absolute minimum contact with the insulator. The signal travels through a very thin polyester coated enamelled copper wire, which is spiralled around a much thicker bare copper ground. Because signal and return conductors are so tightly spaced external electric fields cannot get in. As a result, these cables completely stop hum in valve amplifier setups, whilst blocking radio frequency interference (RFI)."

Townshend_Fractal_interconnect.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.