RC supply filter in Class AB amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any comments on the use of an RCRC filter in the supply for a solid state class AB amp? Looking at some simulations it seems that ripple is reduced to the point where a higher bias can be sustained for a given ripple voltage (versus a capacitor-only filter).

The difference in my particular case would allow me to go from a 100mA bias up to as high as 500mA, with less overall ripple. The downside (as I see it) is greater supply modulation once the amp leaves constant current operation.

This is for R=2ohms, C=10000uF.

Since 500mA is up to almost 50% of full power, is there a reason not to do this?

RC filters

Actually it works quite well and limits the peak current that the rectifiers have to supply for the same total supply capacitance. I use about 0.25 ohms on my Aleph 3. Not only is the absolute level on ripple reduced but, more important, the high frequency components are greatly reduced. Highly recommended!

H.H.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.