Raw Acoustic Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building Raw HT8, HT3 or B3W to replace Vandersteen 2Ci. My room is 12x21x8, hard floors. Speakers must be on short wall. Is the room too small for HT8's. Also comparison between the HT models and the B3W system. I like modern progressive jazz. Associated Equip.:
Van Alstine Super PAS 3
Van Alstine Ultimate 70
Van Alstine Transedence 250 (old Hafler 220 redesign)
Van Alstine Omega III Top Dac
Old Marantz CD Player
Electronic x-over.
I'll be using the Transedence on the bottom end in bi amp mode.
Any other speaker ideas welcome.

No, it's not too small, though as these are multiway speakers, you'll probably get more response if you post in the main loudspeaker forum -this section is primarily focused upon full-range (i.e. wide-band) drive-units.

FWIW, as you've got about $3,000 to spend, you could look at a pair of top-end Fostex drivers (FE208ESigma) in large horns with an additional supertweeter (like their T90a). Depends if you want to build them, or get someone to build for you, and can cope with the size or not. As you're into jazz, I suspect something like this would actually suit you better than a regular multiway (excellent though the RAW designs are compared to most -in fact, they do use wide-band drivers themselves in the B3W, supported by woofers & supertweeters.)

As ScottMoose said, you're in the wrong place to ask about multiways. You could sure build some nice fullrange stuff with that kind of scratch.

A friend of mine owns some RAW speakers. From his experiences, and everything I've heard, his products are fantastic and he's a good guy. I presume you've seen their forum over at audiocircle. Of course, the opinions will be highly biased (a good reason to ask here first). But they'll help you sort out which speakers from their line best fit your needs as they have by far the most experience with the products.

pj

Sorry about the post in the wrong category, my first post. I think I will just build the HT 8's and be done with thinking about it, wondering if I should have built the better model. This will be my first speaker build so I may have additional questions when I begin construction.

I haven't heard Al's new, and improved version of the HT3 speaker yet, but I was very impressed with the old version. Great tonal balance and a very coherent presentation. It's hard to imagine that a speaker could do much better in any way. Word of caution however, the Extremis and I'm sure the new CSS woofer, can put out a lot of bass. If your room is of a "normal" size, I would be reluctant to get anything beyond the HT3's single woofer, as it will almost certainly overload your room.
Other than that, a very fine product from one of the truly good guys in audio.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks for the replies. I am also concerned with over powering bass in my room as it is not very large and is pretty hard. Al seems to recommend the HT3 but he says that the mid is better on the HT8. I like those smooth, detailed mids. I also have level controls on my electronic xover so I may be able to reduce bass output as needed. It works well with the Vandersteens, more bass for example when listening at lower volumes.

Does anyone else have a favorite kit for about $1000.00, less enclosures?

Thanks for the comments ;)
As I talked with you on the phone ,I highly recommend the HT3 as Terry and a few others have made a few comments on the HT3.Over all the HT3 is a statement speaker but we had to do a few models bigger because people can seem never to have enough impact.

The HT3 and HT8 when we make a statement of the lower than 30hz we are very serious and yes they can produce the bass.Using the new replacement for the Extremis the new SDX7 is far more controlled than the Extremis ever could be.This has everything with the stiffer cone as well as the better motor and lower distortion than the Extremis.
And yes in rooms which out room treatments and proper placement the HT8 can very easy over power a room with harsh room loading.Then you are into treating a room were the HT3 some could have the issue but not near that of the HT8.

HT3 like many have said (small dog syndrome) packs a big BARK;)

My personal favorite is the HT3.Why the size of it often over looked when we do a demo,The Apex III draws them in andafter a listen to the HT3.SOLD

Nothing like a down sell. :eek: Did I say that

And yes the price as noted one was for the HT3 above and the other the HT8.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pjanda1 said:
his products are fantastic and he's a good guy.

Al is definitely a good guy,

And he keeps making the speakers better. In the last year he has improved (and simplified) the XO, added EnABLed mids as an option, and the SDX7 is an improvement over the Extremis (it really needs to be looked at as Extremis Mk II). Al & i are also working on some simple mods to the SDX7 that improve over the SDX7 even further.

My facorite is the HT3 (the higher XO due to MT instead of MTM is a big plus to my mind). If you are already bi-amping i suggest talking to Al about what would be needed to bi-amp the HT3 (without the need to worry about the lower impedance, one could easily use 2 woofers per HT3 (just to keep Cal happy))

I'm currently listening to single SDX7 per side biamped -- in my big room they provide satisfying bass -- a set of boxes for a pair per side are just awaitong woofers to make their way thru my mod process.

dave

Cal Weldon said:
I give up. :rolleyes:

Cal, don't do that, man. With all due respect, I think that more than 2 SDX7's (and a real amp :hot: ) in your sun-room would get all those windows (and empties) rattling - not as much as a manly, real "infra-woofer" but, a helluva lot more musical.

All kidding aside, the new SDX7 is more than just a little bit of an improvement over the original Extremis, particularly with some judicious post manufacturing treatments that we should let Al discuss.

chrisb said:

Cal, don't do that, man. With all due respect, I think that more than 2 SDX7's (and a real amp :hot: ) in your sun-room would get all those windows (and empties) rattling - not as much as a manly, real "infra-woofer" but, a helluva lot more musical.

All kidding aside, the new SDX7 is more than just a little bit of an improvement over the original Extremis, particularly with some judicious post manufacturing treatments that we should let Al discuss.

As noted above the SDX7 woofer is far better woofer and we are in the middle of making the mid woofer part much better as well.
Also Chris touched on as did Dave; we are working with Dave in treatment on the cone which changes the sound characteristics of the driver greatly when used as a mid woofer.
Were we use the in the side firing designs like the HT3 and HT8 the changes to the surround have little effect do to the low crossover point were they are used in these designs as we use the SDX7 as a woofer not mid woofer.
Now move to the Apex III.
The changes using the SDX7 driver up higher in the crossover than the old Extremis the treatment can have a effect on the over all sound due to the forward firing SDX7 drivers.

In all people thought the Extremis was a good woofer the new SDX7 puts these designs another notch up in low end control.

The new HT8 crossover design which Dave has not yet listened to is far better than the old HT8.New year brings new changes.

Now to the point.
HT3 or HT8!
Large room high SPL HT8
mid size to large room lower SPL HT3.

Cal Weldon said:

HT8. It would be a crying shame to find out the HT3 aren't quite what he was looking for. I can't see that being a problem with the HT8.

I dunno, Cal - the HT8 could quite possibly be too much for a room this size - full height solid walls on all 4 boundaries, and a real floor can make a huge difference in how much of the LF energy stays in the room, and can wreak havoc therein. :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.