Raw-1f

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They arrived this morning. Believe it or not, this is the first pair of full-range (AKA wide-range) speakers I've ever heard. I love 'em, (with a caveat). They suit my second music system to a tee. They're warm sounding (when used close to the wall) and they're very tranparent and coherent.

They make the Paradigm Titans they replaced sound pretty coarse, and they easily see off the ATC SCM7's I had in the house a few months ago.

The caveat is, for my main system, I'd use a sub at the very least, and probably a tweeter. The highs are not in the same league as the Usher I've been using.

But for my non-critical-music-listening upstairs system, they're absolutely perfect. My main criterion for judging gear is "musical involvement" and the RAW-1F has it in spades. It was hard to turn the CD player off and get back to work.

I know this is a DIY site and I didn't DIY anything, but obviously others could. Personally I could never hope to produce as gorgeous a cabinet as this piano-lacquer black beauty.

Timn8ter said:
I'd like to see that information reach more people. When the WR125S first became available I thought it would generate more excitement than it seems to have.

If it was a Paradigm or B&W it would get a lot of buzz. But look at their dealer network and advertising budgets.

I'd say most audiophiles have never heard of Adire or Creative Sound or Raw or Allegria.

audiobomber said:
The caveat is, for my main system, I'd use a sub at the very least, and probably a tweeter.

Listening to these upstairs, where they're close to a wall has transformed the sound. It's much better than downstairs, even though downstairs I tried stereo subs.

Which I assume means that a bipole WRS125 would be a lot better. I wonder why no one's marketing this, especially since there's a 16-ohm version. Has anyone tried it?

I came up with this and Planet10 and I have discussed a bipole version.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Rosa.htm

It is an awefully good driver, but it takes some time to build momentum. It still mostly lives in the DIY world,

Even in the DIY world it's not getting as much attention as I thought it would, although maybe it feels like a long time already for me. I remember when Dan and Bob first started working on it and heard the prototype at CES 2004. Now we're 1/3 through 2005. :xeye:
( I know patience, patience.....sigh)

I just ordered the new RAW HT1 kit from Al at Raw today. It uses the wr125s driver coupled with the Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeter. I almost ordered the wr125, then the kit41 many times over the last month, but the ribbon tweeter threw me over the edge.
Can't wait to get my greedy paws on it and give it a listen! :)

Kit....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finished speaker example....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I hope you don't mind the bandwidth for the pictures Al, if you want I can remove them. Just seems fitting for the post.

I do plan on giving them a quick listen full range as well, before I build the final ht1 speakers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Raw-1f

Originally posted by audiobomber
Which I assume means that a bipole WRS125 would be a lot better. I wonder why no one's marketing this, especially since there's a 16-ohm version. Has anyone tried it?

Scott & i are working on a prototype based on Tim's design.

dave

PS... i'll post a pic once i get photoshop working again -- back to panther we go.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Raw-1f

planet10 said:
PS... i'll post a pic once i get photoshop working again

Oops... forgot to do that.

dave

Attachments

• bipole-wr125-v02-plans1000.gif
    bipole-wr125-v02-plans1000.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 346
Re: WR125ST

Ap said:
I am interested in using this (the 16 ohm) in an MTM midrange & would love any users feedback. On spec they seem excellent.

AP:

I'm not a user per se, but was fortunate to attend a listening session at Al's house this past Saturday, along with Dave & a few other forum members, and heard several variations of designs using the WR125 (and a prototype of a new FR version - watch for that one!)

The MTM model with Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter (available as KitHT2) was quite amazing, and probably my second favorite of at least 8 models auditioned. With the right amp (unfortunately at 87dB sensitivity not quite a perfect match for the 1.5W SET) you could have a system that almost disappears - the biggest challenge will be to seamlessly integrate a sub, if it even needs one at all . Thanks Al for not "augmenting" the little stand mounters in your demo ;)

Oh yeah, that auto centering magnetically attached grille cover is a nifty trick, well done Al :D

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The HT 2 really caught my eye- especially because it uses a tweeter very similar to one I am familiar with and love!

That combined with the most talked about mid/bass driver these days and I sure want to hear them. I'm trying to talk a friend into ordering them. From what I hear, that HT3 has great potential.

The problem is that that hearing them thing. I wish I could have made it to the RAW get-together

RAW review

Too bad we lost the RAW review thread.
I was at the review at Al's place and was most impressed with the line of speakers that Al has made using the WR125 driver. As was discussed in the lost thread the room had a big effect on the bass response yet this driver still shone very brightly.
Excluding the intense bass response the speakers sounded very nice to me. The mid range was very realistic and the ribbon tweeter was the one I liked. THe dome tweeter was good, I just liked the ribbon better.

I liked the tower style HT3 and I think the side firing bass gave great room tuning options

As Chris indicated the magnet grills is a nice option. It keeps a clean look with the grills off.

Nice work Al

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.