Rambley newbie questions/recommendations #263

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I recently completed build of a mini sub with a Tang Band W5-2053. It turned out pretty well, now I think I've caught the diyAudio bug and I'm looking for my next project.

I wanted to make a small centre speaker for a surround sound system that I can't currently use due to lack of space. So I've been reading up about centre speakers and the major point I picked up on quickly was they need to be matched with the front L/R speakers. This led me to the obvious conclusion that I will simply have to build front L/R and centre speakers. :D

So I'm reading this forum and trying to learn more about speaker design as I'm still new, although I have help from my Father who has been building hifi equipment for many years. At first glance the choices seem endless, so I'm hoping for a little further guidance to set me down the right path. Obviously some of my questions are related to 5.1 speakers, I apologise if this is the wrong place to be asking.

This system will be used for home-cinema and music, although I'm perfectly happy to tailor the speakers to a more music focused sound. The key factor for now is size, as I have very limited space.

As I have sub I'm not looking for a build that focuses on getting the most out of the low-end and would prefer to focus of achieving a clear, musical mid/top end.

I want to start by building build 2 slim towers with relatively small drivers for the L/R speakers and then building a smaller centre speaker to hopefully match them. So my initial focus will be on the L/R towers. The TABAQ TL with a fullrange 3" or 4" seems a popular fullrange possibility. Is there a similar multi-way build?

When it comes to choosing between building a tower speaker with single (or double) full-range drivers vs multi-way, single/double mid/bass + tweeter etc, is it down to personal preference or are there obvious benefits / drawbacks of each build/system? Is there anything advisable to avoid for those a relatively inexperienced in audio diy?

I haven't found much in the way of 5.1 speaker builds on the forum, so i guess this isn't most of your focus but I figure you're a knowledgable lot so you'll likely offer valuable guidance either way.

The room this system will be in is pretty small so I don't need anything like the volume levels of most 5.1 systems. So I'm happy to make sacrifices there in the hope of making it as compact as possible.

With the centre speaker design, the industry standard seems to be a horizontal box with 2 mid/bass drivers either side of a tweeter. Besides sitting neatly under a screen and hopefully matching the output of the front L&R speakers, I'm struggling to really see the advantages of this design, as surely it will offer increased comb filter effect issues. I know with maybe additional drivers and a big enough box these unwanted effects can be ironed out, but I want to make as small as possible a unit. Are there any recommendations when it comes to reducing the size of such a speaker? Does it need to have the 2 mid/bass drivers or would 1 surfice?

I'm also looking for basic information on matching the L/R and Centre speakers. I presume keeping with the same drivers would help achieve this. Or keeping with the same manufacturer & possibly asking their advice on good combinations in their lines. I also presume trying to stay with a similar design in the Centre & L/R towers is something you want to do to balance the sound between the three speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the question bombardment. I'm sure there is plenty I forgot to ask, but that'll do for now I'm sure. Thanks for reading through it all.
Hi Okem!

That's quite a marathon for a first post! :)

I did read through it all and you're right - there's too many questions!

I suggest you extract the aspect that is most important to you and concentrate on that initially.

Unfortunately it seems somewhat inevitable when approaching a new subject like this to be somewhat overwhelmed by information that simply leads to more questions. The unbearable lightness of diyAudio maybe?

This seems like a good place to start

I want to start by building build 2 slim towers with relatively small drivers. The TABAQ TL with a fullrange 3" or 4" seems a popular fullrange possibility. Is there a similar well regarded multi-way build?

When it comes to choosing between building a tower speaker with single (or double) full-range drivers vs multi-way, single/double mid/bass + tweeter etc, is it down to personal preference or are there obvious benefits / drawbacks of each build/system? Is there anything advisable to avoid for those a relatively inexperienced in audio diy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.