Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FIY

This discontinued speaker seems to be very popular with DIYers. There are a lot of single driver projects on the web that use it.

Local Radio Shacks (Detroit) are practically giving them away! I bought four lasts week for $2.00 US each. I bought four more at another store for $1.00 each. Decent sound in every room AND the garage! If you dont't see them ask the clerk to look in the back room or check the computer. The two employees I dealt with had no idea what they were.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mltaunt said:
This discontinued speaker seems to be very popular with DIYers. There are a lot of single driver projects on the web that use it.

Local Radio Shacks (Detroit) are practically giving them away! I bought four lasts week for $2.00 US each. I bought four more at another store for $1.00 each. Decent sound in every room AND the garage! If you dont't see them ask the clerk to look in the back room or check the computer. The two employees I dealt with had no idea what they were.

Down to a $1 each!! Wow!!

These are highly respected bang-for-the-buck FRs. I had a friend ship me up 4 from Alabama to try out. I'm going to build a bipolar something -- either one of these ML-TQWTs based on Bob Brine's single driver pipe or a bi-pole based on Steven Brown's TLs.

dave

Oh yes,

I think there are quite many nice people around here :) so that will not be the problem...

OK, of somebody will find more items than needed and can send them to me (at my costs), this will "be much apreciatetd". ( Need some power transistors in exchange ? )

No, honestly, if somebody will do the work, I will find something (besides the money).
Mltaunt ?

Klaus

I've always wanted to give some of those a try as well, but alas, even in the states you cannot buy them anymore unless they're clearing out old stock, so they seem to be pretty rare :(. Maybe you should give the 40-1197s a try, they're supposed to be good, and they're available here in canada, so they're probably available down in aus as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JoeBob said:
I've always wanted to give some of those a try as well, but alas, even in the states you cannot buy them anymore unless they're clearing out old stock, so they seem to be pretty rare :(. Maybe you should give the 40-1197s a try, they're supposed to be good, and they're available here in canada, so they're probably available down in aus as well.

The 40-1354 is indeed rare, basically only the ones lost on the back shelves of Radio Shack stores in the US have them for the bargain price. Anyone who has hoarded some knows their true value... (i tendered more than a few favours to get the 4 i have).

The 40-1197 is still available here in Canada for $20 CAD each (~13 USD), but by the time you paid postage it might be almost as cheap to buy a real Fostex FE103, which is a better version of the same driver. (if anyone still wants to persue i'd be happy to help out).

dave

Re: Re: Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers

Dave, links don't seem to work, would appreciate correction if possible.

gychang

planet10 said:

Down to a $1 each!! Wow!!

These are highly respected bang-for-the-buck FRs. I had a friend ship me up 4 from Alabama to try out. I'm going to build a bipolar something -- either one of these ML-TQWTs based on Bob Brine's single driver pipe or a bi-pole based on Steven Brown's TLs.

dave

Hello,
I am sorry for bringing back this thread, but I did not want to create a new discussion for RS 40-1354A driver. I still have two pairs, which I bought to build two sets of speakers: Mr. Brines Straight Pipe and small Hawaii 5.0. It took me a long time to get back to this project and I am ready to build the first set of speakers, Hawaii. The reason is I need high sensitivity speakers for SE lower power amps. I need them to be also more portable than Straight Pipes. I want to build "updated" ones with port being placed in the rear or...front. I am more leaning towards rear to obtain wall help with lower bass. They will be stand mounted. The question I have is about Baffle Step Correction circuit. This is mentioned in many single drive applications including Straight Pipes. I did search the forum and the net and information I got is... for close listening it is not needed, but for distance the correction circuit might be needed. The Straight Pipe project shows example. And this is the only example I was able to find for RS driver. Net search brought many circuit examples for FX103 and Radio Schack equivalent. I have also seen BSC in 47Lab Lens speaker. Some of the BSC circuits are complex and some are as simple as resistor ||inductor in series with driver. Even, Hawaii was sort of popular project, I have not seen any mention of BSC for this design. On the contrary...original article emphasized lack of crossover as good point. Should I use or at least try to use BSC with this project ? Is it needed for small speaker size like Hawaii?
Thanks for the help.

I still play my 1197's with Treated cones and Phase Plugs that Dave supplied me with years ago. I also damped the Chassis and appled a Felt Hat to the magnet structure with felt to the inside of the legs.

The "High-Tweek Black-Box Nearfield Monitors" still sound quite nice and people are quite amazed when I display and play them at events or shows that such a simple speaker design can sound as nice as it does!

I also have several sets of 1354's that are held in reserve.

Fun stuff!
TerryO

TB,
I built both and didnt use BSC on either. The pipes are gone but my son uses a small BR version (Hawaii size) in his bedroom and the sound is balanced enough (although light on the HF) Still have a spare pair and may try a quick and dirty horn...courtesy of Valve Mag 4/99.

Attachments

• 1354horn.JPG
    1354horn.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 179
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.