quick question for pm6c's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
just wanted to ask if you think these lowthers in the picture have the paper cones in normal(good) condition.
They look brownish and I don't know if this is normal, or it means that they are very old.
I want to build a BR with fullrange. With Lowther I like the acousta 90 box. Other chances are Fostex 207/ 167 (dificult to find now) or Visaton's B200.
Are thes Lowther worth amongst the others? I heard the 207's in BR and they are very nice, but may be the PM6C could be better.
thanks.

Attachments

• pm6c.JPG
    pm6c.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 74
Those look like older model Lowthers, the whizzer cone does not appear to have the folded back outer edge.

I have PM6C drivers and they work well in my ML TL with a BSC filter so a BR enclosure should be possible. In my opinion the PM6C (and the PM2C) are very good drivers for the price. A bargain Lowther, better than the 8" Fostex drivers I have heard.

Martin

well, looking at the threads here I see that lowthers are not for rock, pop, orchestra, pink floyd?? only for small groups of instruments or solos or voices:warped:
Well, I've heard the 207's with a little bit of everything and they did well. Sometimes a bit like a tin. Not for heavy music, but for instance, Depeche Mode or The Cars it sounded very "wide" or open and clear, with a very nice drum hit. Do you think Lowther is so extreme, not playing "soft" pop?

By the way, being old speakers will it mean that will need repair soon for the cones? because 300 euros is the best price I've seen in the web:beady:

well, looking at the threads here I see that lowthers are not for rock, pop, orchestra, pink floyd?? only for small groups of instruments or solos or voices:warped:
Well, I've heard the 207's with a little bit of everything and they did well. Sometimes a bit like a tin. Not for heavy music, but for instance, Depeche Mode or The Cars it sounded very "wide" or open and clear, with a very nice drum hit. Do you think Lowther is so extreme, not playing "soft" pop?

By the way, being old speakers will it mean that will need repair soon for the cones? because 300 euros is the best price I've seen in the web:beady:

The PM6C has the highest Qts of the Lowther 8" drivers so it will be the most compatible with a BR enclosure. I believe the PM6C parameters are similar to the FE-207E. If you were happy with the FE-207E then the PM6C should do the job. If you want more bass then a sub or dedicated woofer could be added.

It is hard to judge somebody elses requirements or desires with respect to bass output.

Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.