Quick question about switched jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about putting together a small mono bluetooth speaker that will also accept input through a 3.5mm jack. I'm wondering if there is a type of switched jack that will allow me to wire so that the signal from BT is cut off anytime a plug is plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

I'm thinking about putting together a small mono bluetooth speaker that will also accept input through a 3.5mm jack. I'm wondering if there is a type of switched jack that will allow me to wire so that the signal from BT is cut off anytime a plug is plugged into the 3.5mm jack.

I think this part is pretty typical of switched 3.5 mm jacks:

ACJS-MV35-5 Amphenol Audio | Mouser

It has two normally closed contacts that are grounded when the jack is empty, and float when a plug is fully inserted.

I'm not sure if I follow. Here's the diagram from the data sheet:
AYhmE4qIeQSYnmIISwoIAQwoICQggLCgghLCgghLCggBDCggJCCAsKCCEsKCCEsKCAEMKCAkIICwoIISwoIISw+D+I1XdXVQYKDAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

So with no plug there's a closed switch between 4 and 5 and between 2 and 3? So in general use Pins 1, 2, and 5 would go to ground and Pins 3 and 4 would go to the inputs of the amp?

So there's not really a way to use these switches to interrupt the signal from another device?

What happens if I use the switched jack here:

JPn3mHC1H6QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

...and connect the bluetooth line outs to pins 2 and 5 and the amp inputs to pins 3 and 4? Will that do what I want it to do? Take input from the BT except when there is a plug in the jack, then take the input from the jack?

Last edited:
Image is attached.

I don't have a bluetooth module in hand, but I believe that a stereo bluetooth modules should have line level left and right outputs. If I was using only the bluetooth I would connect these outs directly to the ins on the amp.

The question is whether the switched jack works the way I think it does. As far as I know it has very little to do with the bluetooth itself.

Attachments

• switched jack grab.jpg
    switched jack grab.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 14
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.