Questions on a Zaph Vifa XG18/Seas 27TDFC MTM build

I'm building these speakers:
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker16.html
I already have just about all the components, expect for one thing. I forgot to buy vents! Halfway down the page, John mentions: "I recommend Scan-Speak Vario-vents (two per cabinet) for the 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure. The vents are tunable, and since these are higher Qts drivers, the low end can be be adjusted to your liking. "
How important is placement of these vents? Should I just pick a logical spot on the back of the cabinet and call it good? Unfortunately these vents are not shown on the cabinet plans, so I don't know the proper location. Curious, but has anyone else built them? I've heard some really good things about them....

peter_m

2007-05-14 7:33 am
You can place them about anywhere (front, side or rear) but best to place them as far as possible from the mid-woofers to minimize any mid-base escaping from the vents.

You could also go sealed and invest the money in a sub. You can use a Dayton RS 12" sealed and it should give you more satisfaction then the vario-vents....

peter_m said:
You can place them about anywhere (front, side or rear) but best to place them as far as possible from the mid-woofers to minimize any mid-base escaping from the vents.

You could also go sealed and invest the money in a sub. You can use a Dayton RS 12" sealed and it should give you more satisfaction then the vario-vents....

Ok. Well, I guess I'll just try them sealed first, I have a mid sized room that doesn't really need a ton of bass. Thanks for the reply.

Chris