• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

questions about some sim software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, the big two seem to be Circuit Maker (6, 2000, Pro) and Lt Spice. Of those, witch one works better for Valve circuits? Most features, accuracy, ease of use, user interface.
Also, I've been reading as many post as possible on this subject and I see a reference to "Curve Captor", how does it work? What can it do?
I like the idea that CM can output to a PCB program(Traxmaker) that seems to have features similar to Eagle.

So, what do you like and use? Why?:scratch:

Unless you already have some good reasons to select something else, I recommend to go with LtSpice - Linear Technology - Design Simulation and Device Models

This is what most people here use, so support is close at hand.
Most tube models are for LtSpice (other SPICE software use slightly different model syntax)
It is supported and updated by supplier. Runs on latest Windows versions.
Free, without any limitations or restrictions

SveinB.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
+1 LinksGuru - SIMetrix is much better than LTSpice - much more "modern" and can run with several variants of SPICE models - try that with LTSpice...

Curve Captor is not a full blown simulation program, it only does limited circuit simulations for triode only, although it is very good for building triode SPICE models.

Jaz

Ltspice is not node limited, is supported actively as it is used internally by Linear for IC development - bug fixes can happen in days, to a few weeks

it is "an engineer's Spice" - not a production schematic drafting tool - the interface is "flat" on purpose

reading the Simetrix demo page - the free version doesn't allow HSpice or Verilog

so it sounds like there isn't an advantage - certainly not one worth the fewer diyAudio users that will be able to help/share sims with you

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Ltspice is not node limited, is supported actively as it is used internally by Linear for IC development - bug fixes can happen in days, to a few weeks

it is "an engineer's Spice" - not a production schematic drafting tool - the interface is "flat" on purpose

reading the Simetrix demo page - the free version doesn't allow HSpice or Verilog

so it sounds like there isn't an advantage - certainly not one worth the fewer diyAudio users that will be able to help/share sims with you

For the variant SPICE models, I had little trouble with various tube models found on the net, be it .mod, .inc, .txt, etc. Simply drop the models onto the SIMetrix control panel and associate it with a symbol, and they are good to go - much more intuitive than LTSpice... Can't argue with you on the popularity of LTSpice, using SIMetrix is just my personal preference - I guess I just do not like "flatness" of LTSpice ;)

Jaz

Last edited:
I like the concept of Linux. But I use Windows because all my productivity software is on Windows. To me, Linux is for hobbyist that have time to play with computers. If it went mainstream and had the software base of Windows, I'd use it. Wine, is equivalent to margarine.
I am learning LTspice for only one reason. To stop being a wage slave at a job I hate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.