Questions about bass-reflex box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got 2 questions regarding the bass reflex enclosure :

1) First is about the construction. I want to make a double baffle, but I'm not sure how to join the 2 baffles together. Do I just glue them and use some clamps till the glue dries ? Or do I have to drill screws also ? If I have to use screws, do I screw them on the interior side of the baffle or the exterior side. If the baffle is 2 x 3/4" thick, how long should the screws be ?

2) My second question is about the tuning frequency of the box. Let's say I use speaker A and tune the box to 40 Hz. If I use speaker B (with different specs) on the same box, will it still be tuned to 40 Hz ?

Actually, that's more than 2 questions

1) If the two baffles are small enough. you could probably press them with concrete blocks, etc. If screwing, cut the driver holes first - one screw in the wrong place can ruin your day and your tool bit / blade. For a total thickness of 1 1/2" , 1 1/4" Lo-root or deck screws would be more than sufficient - do not use drywall screws. Which side to screw from depends on how you plan to finish / cover the boxes.

2) no

But isn't it the combination of driver's parameters and enclosure volume/ tuning that effects the net outcome, which in the case of subwoofers is often targeted for a very narrow operating bandwidth? So while the box may still be tuned to 40Hz, the two could sound quite different, and the second driver might not meet the design goal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.