[Question] Where should I start looking DIY (3-Way Passive Loudspeakers)

Hello,

I have thought of taking up the project of building my own DIY loudspeakers, I'm looking around because I've been using some Radiotehnika 35 AC-1 and I'm seeking something that still has the heavy booms (well more of it) of the AC-1's but something that maintains more crisp highs and a less distorted sound at loud volumes. I've been looking around the internet and found that Paul Carmody's "Tarkus" has been well appreciated throughout the years. However, I don't think the Tarkus will fulfill the satisfaction im looking for as they are pretty similar to the AC-1's (Driver wise). I am not a proffesional in audio at all but have a beginner understanding of speakers and sound. Hence, I come here to ask for your help so I don't start building something I will be dissapointed with. This is what I've been thinking of: 3-Way speakers, can be used with 8 ohm amplifier safely, loud, floorstanding, drivers and materials that are available in Europe (so I don't have to pay expensive import fees), somewhat easy to follow instructions such as already made schematics for crossovers, under 750 Euro, cabinet dimensions and sound as described before. Please let me know if this is possible in the price range and if it is worth it.

Thanks, Tadas

I think this might be a controversial topic but I like that passive crossovers last a "century" speakers that have lasted years and years with passive crossovers impress me. DSP's are probably a good option I might need to consider though.
Amps are cheap and imperceptibly different from one another and from ones made 40 (or more) years ago. Buy them at the thrift store.

You can spend half a lifetime sorting-out a crossover and level controls. Even with great effort, I doubt you can make one that would sound as good as a DSP (such as Behringer DCX2496, used by tens of thousands of people) and which you can fiddle with at the twist of a knob instantly in order to suit your room, speakers, furnishings, taste in music.... and, always neglected, your state of hearing.

(Sometimes people post speaker and X-over constructions that actually track the engineering design. That's impressive. But that does not mean it will sound right in your room, even if if it looks "flat" to a mic.)

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
DSP (for cross-over and a million adjustments) and power amps and cheap today. Takes little time to set up and little time more to re-adjust to your taste.

It makes no sense any more to attempt using passive crossovers.
It makes no sense to recommend DSP in a thread that specifically says "passive" in the title. It's like recommending a 4" driver on a thread asking for recommendations of a 10" driver. (Which sadly also happens at diyaudio.)

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Check Troels' site (http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm) for possible builds. I don't know if they'll hit your price point, but you'll pay for the crossover parts, but make your own cabinets.
DSPs are interesting, but the myriad of settings from twisting tiny dials can be a pain in the *** (at least with the DCX2496) so there is some benifit in a passive system being 'plug and play'.

To elaborate a bit more on the main post, I am not specifically looking for a kit I'm more looking for a "recipe" of sorts. Although I don't have anything against kits I just think there is money to be saved by doing it yourself :)

Tadas.

The recipe is what this forum is all about. Read well trough. The problem is not the drivers. You've got plenty of funds to invest in 6 drivers.
I advise you to first modify Radiotehnikas to sound better. Good acoustic analysis will tell you everything you need to know. Learn how to measure the right way.

Reactions: 1 user
I have thought of taking up the project of building my own DIY loudspeakers, I'm looking around because I've been using some Radiotehnika 35 AC-1 and I'm seeking something that still has the heavy booms (well more of it) of the AC-1's but something that maintains more crisp highs and a less distorted sound at loud volumes. I've been looking around the internet and found that Paul Carmody's "Tarkus" has been well appreciated throughout the years. However, I don't think the Tarkus will fulfill the satisfaction im looking for as they are pretty similar to the AC-1's (Driver wise).
I'm not sure you can compare speakers just by looking at the drivers, and moreover the heart of a speaker is the crossover and not the drivers. PC choose carefully the Tarkus drivers to build a balanced and relatively inexpensive speaker. You buy the drivers and all the components and build the cabinets, so it is a "recipe". Also the "kits" suggested before by motokok are recipes as they don't have the boxes.
People here suggesting mod of your existing speakers, are implicitly suggesting to measure. This is entirely doable, but if your goal is to just build (or renew) a single couple of speakers, then IMHO the cost of the gear needed and the time you need to invest don't make any sense. And you can't be sure to have success. Your idea to build a proven design is the best idea if you just want to build your own speaker. However if you don't listen before to a speaker you can't be sure you will like the sound, so the best approach could be to buy relatively new and cared used speakers from known brands. If you don't like them you can always resell them for more or less the same money (been there done that).
Having said all this the Tarkus are IMHO a well executed design that will easily surpass any cheap vintage speaker with drivers is unknown condition.

Ralf

Reactions: 2 users
What kinds of music do you listen to? Budget, room layout, cabinet size constraints?

If it's pop/rock, I don't think you could go past the Tarkus: respected designer, many happy builders, many reviews. Maybe a little challenging in the WAF department, but there are some really nice looking variations on Paul's website.

I wouldn't worry about the drivers being similar to what you have already.

As Ralf says, you won't be able to audition a speaker before you build it so you should go for something which has been widely built and well reviewed.

Geoff