question on speaker protection circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try it out some time. Pop a 1 amp fuse in and run into a dummy load. The first time I saw it on the scope I thought I had some major clipping on one rail (I described it wrong earlier). The fuse will take the peak right off a sign wave without melting completely. Many designer's won't install fuses for this reason.
Ah, you are talking about instantaneously droop of rail through the fuse and you see the top of the sine wave clip. That make sense.

No I am thinking about using 4A fuse, also, as I said, my goal is a 10W Class A amp with ability to run to 100W in class AB into 4ohm. I never want a big amp. I really design for myself, I had 30 years on my job already, I am not interested in selling this. At best, I would build two more for my two step sons.

I experimented with my Acurus 200W per channel. It was factory biased very cold. I up the bias current to 100mA per pair. So for 4 pairs, I have 400mA idle current that gives me 4 X0.8=3.2Vpeak. So I have 0.707 X 3.2V X 4ohm=1.8Wrms of Class A power. I can hear quite an improvement in the sound at my listening level. Too bad that amp has +/-80V rail, it's getting very hot now. I don't want to mess with it. So I decided to design my own amp. Reducing the rail voltage is the key for me now and up the current. That's why I use 5 pairs of output transistors.

I have my schematic in post #109 in this, since you have a lot of experience, please comment if you have time.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/268265-please-comment-my-ops-design-11.html

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.