question on misuse of a multi meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What would happen if a multi meter is mis-set to check resistance while being used to check voltages on a chip amp like the Modulus86. Items being checked would be were transformer wires connect to power supply and power supply to amp pcb power input connections. Obviously, in order to check voltages, the amp would be plugged in and turned on.

Thanks,
henry

One is a Micronta analog and the other is a Velleman digital. I tested both meters for AC, at a 120V outlet and with a 9V and 1.5V battery and they were both accurate. I also tested both for resistance and both are accurate. I was concerned because the 5A slow blow fuse in the amp's AC entry module blew.

I put in a new fuse and things seem back to normal. What could have caused the fuse to blow?

I didn't realize, right away, that the fuse blew. Not even sure what meter I was using or were the probes touching.

I just decided to check the duplex 10amp wall outlet and the found the receptacle for the round grounding prong, on a three prong cord, is not connected. I know I was testing some of the connections for voltage with one probe on the earth ground lug screwed to the case bottom. I'm thinking that, since there was no path to ground, that may have caused the fuse to blow. Maybe I didn't have the meter set incorrectly. I was trying to remember to turn of the amp off every time I was checking resistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.