Question for Planet-10 or another Guru

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been playing around with these crossovers and listening extensively. A B to the left and right just to hear tonal differences between the electolytics and the poly caps. Then just for fun i played with the EQ :xeye: There is a definite hump now somewhere between 600 and 1000 hz :eek: . Thats no where near my x-over frequency and i could not hear it initially because i wasnt paying attention for that particular anomaly. ( I thought i had cleared it changing frequencies the first time.) now that i know its there i cant stop hearing it.

Before you ask the only way i know it is somewhere in that vacinity is because if i move the 1k slider down a few db it lessens but still has a nasal quality. If i move the 600 hz slider down a few db it is gone. I havent disassembled the x-over and changed polarity to the tweeter ( a real pain ) WOuld that do anything at all ??

If you could post more details of your crossover, such as crossover frequency, slope, impedence comensation used, ect... That would help people answer your question better. Most likely though switching the polarity of your tweeter will not help you if your crossover is not that close to to 600Hz or 1kHz. Lots of different things it could be, but with more info it could be narrowed down a bit more.
Joe

1800 hz with a 24 db slope. A 6 ohm tweeter with an L-pad for 9 db Hi-Vi 8II and a Morel MW166 in a sealed cabinet. All component values within .5 of whatever was required by the design program.

It sounded great compared to before and back then it sounded great compared to before that and so on. Today i switched out electrolytics and was comparing. When i was playing with the EQ for fun is when i noticed it. Once i heard it i knew it was not right :(

Dcibel pointed out that i shouldnt use iron core inductors in my x-over. something that i dont have much of a choice with right now. DO the saturation liabilites also affect their impedance/inductance characteristics? Could my x-overs be fluctuating and thats why i cant get a stable flat midrange ?

Could it be peaking from the tweeter? I'm not exactly an crossover expert, and have never acctually designed a crossover for a tweeter, but I believe they will have a sharp spike in impedence at there Fs. If this is somewhere around 1kHz-600Hz this could be causing a peak in the tweeter response.
Joe

I dont understand it. I took everything downstairs and played it at my neighbours. Same crossovers on the same speakers just hooked up to his system. 50 times better sound.

I dont believe in magic wire crap. i have been to those demos and they always use the cheapest possible interconnect/spkWire in the entire world. Against 85 % pyre oxygen free de nuclearized developed in space zero gravity 5000 dollars per inch wire. Why ? Because no one hears a difference between 50 dollar wire and 500 dollar wire.

He has different interconnects and speaker cables but unlike my other neighbour he has a very similar amp to mine. A low power Natural sound Yamaha cant be more then 5 to 10 watts more then mine. Also its old to. So i cant understand why the midrange humps are gone on his stereo. Please dont tell me its the cabling. I will have to kill my cat if you do.

:mad:

Madmike2 said:
I dont understand it. I took everything downstairs and played it at my neighbours. Same crossovers on the same speakers just hooked up to his system. 50 times better sound.

So, it's in a different space, wasn't it?

Resonances at a few hundred Hz are usually caused by cabinet, cabinet/driver combination, or space, space/speaker interaction.

Why don't you try bringing your neighbor's stuff to your original space with your speaker & see what happen?

Well ...... i sit here red faced before you, all that read this post where i categoricaly stated that wiring makes no difference.

Allan brought up his Yamaha rx545 or 563 whatever it was some two channel job anyways and his speakers cables. (i have 1/4 to RCA out from my comp so i think i am stuck with **** there).

As CLS stated it had to be in same space and so it was. His amp kicked my Pioneers deriere, with my wire and especially with his. Just for something to do i hooked my amp with his speaker wire since i was busy shooting my mouth off on how it made no difference. And it shouldnt since the terminal outs are cheesy scew in nickel plated ****. BUt low and behold i had to eat a toe nail.

Now i guess i have to go out and buy speaker cable and ends to try and terminate better 1/4 to RCA cables then what i got at the pro shop. And mabey de solder all the connections from the output of the amp and put in quality connectors there to.

:( :( :mad: :xeye: :confused: It never stops does it ? The tinkering i mean.

Ya i am building my own winder , but thats not the problem at all right now. Thank you though. I have all the java based calculators i will ever need now ;)

My dilemma is now to find silver interconnect wire unterminated. And pure silver speaker wire. If i must capitulate i will do so holding the gun barrel out in surrender :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.