Question for Aussies - LSK S150 sub or build other?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
paulspencer said:
Try designing a vented XLS box and you will find the vent is too long for the box.

I only did a 10" XLS but overcame a long vent by snagging a B&W Flowport from a dead sub. Ended up with a port only 65mm dia x 254 long which fires down. Should chuff like crazy but super quiet. Great design.

Attachments

• b&w port.jpg
    b&w port.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 72
When the vent is downfiring, if the clearance has a certain relationship with the vent diameter then it can lower tuning by 2 - 4 Hz which can help you get a shorter vent, but if it's too close then you can lose output as well and have turbulence problems. It can be a fine balance. In your case the diameter is small and the downfiring won't probably affect the tuning much if at all.

Stuck with the B&W dimensions as they've done all the hard work. I've done some other subs with downfiring ports and found that a height of about 70% of the port diameter sounds the best in my room. Probably a formula out there somewhere but just did some simple tests.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.