Question about some PA Speakers

I am currently thinking about buying the VX1015BT or the VX1050BT. I want it for like a school event that will happen and like 200-300 people will be attending. The school is pretty big lets say about 80-100 meters long. Which one will be good for my pocket and give me a good performance for it. I'll also use it it my home ( for waking up the neighbors ) but mainly on events. They both don't even need a console so yea.

Below: VX1015BT: 2.1 with 15" sub & 2 x 10" satellite & 2 x piezo tweeters (~£350).

1710353900385.png

Below: VX1050BT: 2.2 with 2 X 12" subs & 2 x column array (~£530).

1710354406982.png

My advice, go for the more expensive system.

Honestly? Neither. Story time:

I was hired in to consult with a band. They had a Mackie mixing desk, and brought one of their speakers: https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-C15A-Active-PA-Speaker/3P54
I brought a Yamaha DBR10 along, which is the cheapest PA speaker I'd ever recommend.

The Yamaha, despite being less than half the size, cheerfully demolished the band's speaker, which sounded like an AM radio in comparison. No bass, spikey treble, rough midrange.

Now, the DBR10 isn't a particularly good PA speaker. It's pretty easy to make them struggle if you try, but they sound alright at moderate volumes. Higher-end PA speakers will carry on getting louder when the DBR10 already has its red "limit" light on solidly.

In order to have any audible sound at all at 80-100m, you're going to need something much more powerful than a pair of Yamaha DBR10s. A good double-18" sub with a high-end 12" main speaker per side would be the absolute minimum to be clearly audible. Anything less will get lost to the noise of the crowd. If a good audio experience at that distance is required, you need another step up again: you'll need a large-format system like last-century's Nexo Alpha or EAW KF850, or a modern line array system or high-power point source (Danley).

The message I'm trying to convey is this: there are approximately four steps in PA systems - the really cheap stuff, small-format, medium-format, large-format.
The thing you're looking to do would typically require a medium/large-format system, and you're considering using the cheap stuff.

I'd strongly suggest hiring something suitable for the large events. For use at home, pick whichever you prefer. Either of the ones shown in a previous post will be louder than most HiFi systems.

Chris

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently thinking about buying the VX1015BT or the VX1050BT. I want it for like a school event
What kind of event?
These speakers are junk.. don't waste your money. Instead take the funds you have and rent a real PA system. A sound system that will produce somewhat impressive results in a typical school auditorium with any genre of modern music starts at about $10k retail these days.

Hello I was recently interested in buyinga PA System for my self and do some parties that the outisde was around 20-30 feet long.​

I wanted to see if the subwoofer and the speakers could connect and I would just buy these two and how I would connect them ( bluetooth, cable exc ). And If I needed to buy something else than the speakers and the subwoofer.

Here are the speakers:

PA SPJ1000D 300W Passive without console just cable x2 ( Skytec )​

Here is the subwoofer:

PA SMWBA18 1000W 18" ( Vonyx )​

Please inform me if there are compatitability issues such it needs a console or the subwoofer doesn't have enough ports for the 2 speakers to connect exc. I am on a tight budget so that would be my list to buy for a semi pro because I have worked in the past ( 3 years ago ) but I don't really remember anything. Thank you!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kostas,
I have experience in PA, live sound and performance audio in auditoriums.

Some times people simply ask too much with too little. Your applications have conflicting requirements as well.

So generally speaking, you want the high efficiency types of speaker, plus you need to look at the highest SPL they can attain. Power handling is a minor concern, it is your maximum safe SPL you can attain. Keep in mind that people absorb sound. LArger venues require more acoustic power, outdoors is the worst. Bass frequencies require a lot more power and air movement. So 18" drivers for outdoors in more than a pair of cabinets may be required. Amplifier clipping will kill tweeters (even piezo types).

For home, you want sound quality and frequency range. This probably also means a higher powered amplifier. But go for true, sustained power ratings.

At home I have an amplifier rated for 150 watts per channel in 8 ohms, it delivers 25% more and is a well known product. My speakers are 4 ohm, so I get even more power, however they are not efficient (86 dB/watt). I'm going to try a 240 watt per channel amplifier soon. I do like things loud. However, I would never consider using this setup for groups of 50 or more. It might do it, but I would at least use another identical amplifier and speaker setup placed in different locations in the room. FOr that application a pair of Klipsch LaScala speakers would be far more suitable with the same amplifier. Now that would work great.

If you look up the speakers, you'll see they greatly exceed your budget. In fact, your budget strains even a pair of half decent home speakers. You'll kill those trying to party with them in a bigger room with more people.

What I would do is determine what your realistic use would be. Buy a used set of speakers. Consider renting a PA system for parties. Music stores usually can rent systems for a party.

It really depends on what is meant by “party”. In most environments, more than 60 dB at the property line brings the police. In that case, the “cheap PA system“ will do all that is ever needed. If a large area needs to be covered and/or you are allowed to get loud a rented system with real equipment is the way to go. Unless you are into building equipment that is as good (it’s still real money).

Chris above is absolutely right. I suggest starting again on defining what is required. First thing: how big is the dance floor area that needs covering, and is that indoors or outdoors?

And at the other extreme, you are simply never going to cover a distance of 80 to 100 metres at a remotely adequate level.