Question about caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to replace cheap 1uf@50V caps with Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil rated at 1000V.

The question is this...

Will the potential of the Mundorf's be realised with just 50V running through them or am I just wasting my money?

I am curious, since axial caps used in speakers surely do not have high voltage signals fed into them, yet some are rated around 800 - 1000V?

Cheers

Last edited:
I am sure the sellers of over priced standard electronic components, most of which have been re-badged/packaged, would disagree that there is no added improvement on the whole. Just leaves the unskilled DIYer with a PCBoard overpopulated with non fitting stuff.
It takes many years to gain qualifications and a good understanding of component best usage, it is not learnt reading internet bloggs on their own.

The question is of the form "Should I replace my red string with blue string, or would this be a waste of money?".

We would need to know things like:
- what is the string being used for?
- what load is it carrying?
- is string colour actually an issue for this application?
- is string quality an issue, provided of course that proper decent string is used?
- are you using string for something which ought to use rope, or wire, or tape?

Last edited:
I am looking to replace cheap 1uf@50V caps with Mundorf Silver/Gold in Oil rated at 1000V.

The question is this...

Will the potential of the Mundorf's be realised with just 50V running through them or am I just wasting my money?

I am curious, since axial caps used in speakers surely do not have high voltage signals fed into them, yet some are rated around 800 - 1000V?

I would suggest you to buy the plain (not 'oily') Mundorf MCAP Supreme, it will perform great, sound also great and is pretty neutral, the more costly ones with oil, gold and/or silver will simply introduce pleasant coloration, IMHO.

Usually when the same cap is offered with different voltage ratings the higher ones will sound better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.