Quested HM415 Cloning, you guys interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Shouldn't be too difficult, it's a very straight forward ported 4way design.
The parts (drivers, amps, crossover) are all readily available but they'll cost you.
The crossover is an XTA unit, the amps are MC2 Audio, drivers Volt, PHL (I think) and Morel.

Not sure why Roger doesn't use TPLs in those, he did use them in a cheaper high-output range which seemingly has been cancelled.

Not sure I care about the speakers, but Hans Zimmer's work space is droolicious. I even think we have the same trash can! The picture needs some clarification though, the right front speaker looks blocked by an equipment rack. I guess there's another seating area in front of this one we can't see?

The_20Computers_20of_20Hans-X3.jpg

I'd love to see how one would make one. What would the total costs be like?

8x Volt @ £444.25 £3554

2x Volt VM752 @ £408 £816

2x Morel tweeters between £60-200.

2x PHL not really identified. Say £300 for both.

6x MC2 S800 @ £2050 £12300

2x MC2 S1400 @ £2500 £5000

1x XTA DC1048 £1800

TOTAL: around £24 000

Bargain.
You could save some on electronics suppose.

Actually that is an unusually high part to product ratio, it really is a bargain compared to commercial speakers tending to be around 8x to 20x.

Seems Volt's focus is on minimizing thermal effects, especially compression, from affecting the reproduced sound. I've read some interesting articles showing models of how even a few cycles of music can cause noticeable compression. It would be interesting if I could actually hear it myself and how this would sound in my modest living room compared to say Scan Speaks.

Best,

Erik

8x Volt @ £444.25 £3554

2x Volt VM752 @ £408 £816

2x Morel tweeters between £60-200.

2x PHL not really identified. Say £300 for both.

6x MC2 S800 @ £2050 £12300

2x MC2 S1400 @ £2500 £5000

1x XTA DC1048 £1800

TOTAL: around £24 000

Bargain.
You could save some on electronics suppose.

It was a joke, but the only people I know of in Mexico who have that kind of money are involved in drugs or corruption. Given the pro-drug cartel songs produced, I include the music industry in that as well.

If there are other industries in Mexico where honest people can get wealthy I'd love to know about it.

Best,

Erik

Quested uses a lot of Volt driver, that much is certain but the low mid driver of the HM415 uses a basket that looks nothing like any other Volt driver and neither does the cone.

So far the only drivers I've found which look like the low mid and would be suitable for purpose are made by PHL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.