Quarter Wave Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, it would have been Mrs. Annan doing the knitting... I'm waaaaaay too manly for that. Way.

I know you can't see it right now, but I'm bench pressing like 600 pounds and beating up some scrawny geek as I write this. Rrrrrrrrr....

That's what happens with this damn knitting thing. The family has sweaters, the dogs have sweaters, the neighbors have sweaters, the detainees at Guantanamo Bay have sweaters. She's currently working on an "In-vitro Sweaterization Theory" in an attempt to clothe the foetus in utero.

Please help me stop this.

Kofi

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
turns out that Tim's plans were easier than i thot since i'd already done a drawing with variations (everthing but the folded one...

dave

Attachments

• bp-1197-voigt-variations.gif
    bp-1197-voigt-variations.gif
    19 KB · Views: 223
Woo hoo! Thanks a million!

Tim, didn't you have ports out both front & back?

Actually, I think its only ported in the front, from what I see on the site, but we'll let the designer respond.

Thanks again for all the help. I sent you an E-mail about the RS drivers. I'll check my web mail tonight. What's the current sweater-to-driver conversion rate anyway?

<End of knitting-related humor>

Kofi

Kofi Annan said:
Woo hoo! Thanks a million!

Actually, I think its only ported in the front, from what I see on the site, but we'll let the designer respond.

Thanks again for all the help. I sent you an E-mail about the RS drivers. I'll check my web mail tonight. What's the current sweater-to-driver conversion rate anyway?

<End of knitting-related humor>

Kofi

Only one port out the front.

planet10 said:

I don't know if you should tell this to your wife... but i've knitted harder stuff than your wife has on her blog... maybe i should split off a knitting thread?

dave

Shouldn't you be building some amps?

I don't know if you should tell this to your wife...

My adoption of a philosophy of warm encouragement without a trace of criticism has been the key to my marriage.

but i've knitted harder stuff than your wife has on her blog...

This I believe.

maybe i should split off a knitting thread?

...or you could be the next Guest Knitter on Red Velvet Cake! I know the creator so I can pull a few strings and get you in. Can you do cable knits?

Seriously, thanks for all the help.

Kofi

GM said:
Since these have a strong rising response, is an inductor used to roll off the rear driver? FWIW, if relocating the driver, L*0.557 appears to be about optimum.

GM

Both drivers run full. The question that's not been answered is how to account for the throat constriction where the two drivers are coupled. "The proof is in the pudding", they just sound good.
:)

Anytime you have a high aspect ratio then anything in the pathway affects response, but putting them further down the pipe will help to minimize it. I can't think of any obvious reason why MJK couldn't incorporate it into his calcs since it would be similar to the effect of moving the vent up the pipe, but I can think of a number of more beneficial enhancements I'd rather see included.

GM

Timn8ter said:

Both drivers run full. The question that's not been answered is how to account for the throat constriction where the two drivers are coupled. "The proof is in the pudding", they just sound good.
:)

Tim,
I don't see that RS driver listed anymore but they have a 4 1/2" driver that appears to be the same as- http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-010

any comments on how that would work in your design? (Of course PE still have those 87 cent 4 inch Pioneers!)

I was planning on building a larger ML-TQWT but think I may do your design first since it is small enough to do both from one sheet of MDF and I can get a little experience with the basic design, stuffing etc. Plus I like the dipole idea.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GM said:
Anytime you have a high aspect ratio then anything in the pathway affects response, but putting them further down the pipe will help to minimize it. I can't think of any obvious reason why MJK couldn't incorporate it into his calcs since it would be similar to the effect of moving the vent up the pipe, but I can think of a number of more beneficial enhancements I'd rather see included.

When i did the initial drawings i considered the problem of the restriction and did a bit of analysis at the max constriction point -- see below. MJK talk's abit about restrictions in his Focal TL part 2 (or is it part 3).

dave

Attachments

• 1197-restriction.gif
    1197-restriction.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 184
>.....any comments on how that would work in your design?
====
If the specs are reasonably accurate, they sim better in this design than the 1197, though it's still a bit small for them. Again I recommend putting the drivers lower. Unfortunately this puts the driver too far below your ears, so a redesign is the best plan.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.