Quantum entanglement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And why did you use "may be" instead of "is"?

All findings of science are provisional until we have better findings which is pretty common these days.

And why the clocks are affected by speed? Is that human limitation? You see, I think there are a lot of philosophical contents in QM.

The degree to which clocks are affected by speed is precisely explained by the math of Special Relativity, which is why among other things, GPS works.

If you want to understand this better without learning a bunch of math, PBS has run a few shows lately about Einstein that can help. I understand that they have a web site where you can still view them.

I might add that both documentaries about Einstein mentioned a few significant relevant facts that I had no idea about and I'm not talking about his randy nature! ;-)

For example, my hero Newton apparently did not know how to properly calculate kinetic energy, and this error persisted for like a century or more. That misapprehension was corrected by another randy scientist around the time of the French Revolution, but you'll have to do your own studying to catch up on that!

There were apparently a few corrections to his theories before Einstein! However, he's still my hero for inventing that bane of undergraduate students - Calculus.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The degree to which clocks are affected by speed is precisely explained by the math of Special Relativity, which is why among other things, GPS works.

GPS requires both general and special relativity!

he's still my hero for inventing that bane of undergraduate students - Calculus.

Although not much of newtonian notation remains! I can only thing of working with angular velocity, but sure there are plenty more.

What interests me most about quantum entanglement is the possibility that it might be a real world embodiment of a worm-hole (a worm hole connecting the two particles together so that there is no distance between them hence no spooky action at a distance, or perhaps the particles are a representation of the ends of a worm-hole) and hence provides a glimpse of how general relatively and quantum mechanics may be reconciled.

What interests me most about quantum entanglement is the possibility that it might be a real world embodiment of a worm-hole (a worm hole connecting the two particles together so that there is no distance between them hence no spooky action at a distance, or perhaps the particles are a representation of the ends of a worm-hole) and hence provides a glimpse of how general relatively and quantum mechanics may be reconciled.

Entanglement doesn't actually allow the transport of information faster than light so I don't think this is an area where QM and relativity conflict.

I also don't see how entanglement has something to do with general relativity.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So what, the applications are tangible and intuitive, from the transistor to the GPS.

The point is I don't think Newtonian mechanics, QM, QE are intuitive. Neither is relativistic time dilation. If they were, they would have been discovered centuries ago and we would not have needed the very smart people to come along and explained these phenomena.

I think Feynman would agree with me on this one.

The applications are intuitive - but that's a different matter. Kind of like the effects of gravity.

Last edited:
So no masking there. Guess: advanced Maillard reaction products are close enough to what triggers our internal smoke alarm to be perceived in very low concentrations, even above the special perfume of this slithery cheese.

In my experience the smell of s**t usually wins. A miracle of modern technology a totally running away Epoisse that couldn't even hold its own against a simple bread yeast, as far as I'm concerned the end times are very near.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Folk knowledge has it that lighting a match drives away the fall-out of even the foulest dump. Are they still legal (matches, that is)?

This is why people burn those little perfume candles in the toilets when they have dinner parties. It is supposed hides the smell of any guests 'dump'. or gas emissions However, the real reason I suspect is to offer some respite for those guests that just need to get away from the smell of the Epoisse for a few minutes.

The point is I don't think Newtonian mechanics, QM, QE are intuitive. Neither is relativistic time dilation.

So what? I don't see any reasons why these should be intuitively accessible to the next Joe Sixpack. Those who ought to understand them, are smart enough to do it without using intuition as a research method (if that still works today, long after Newton and the apple). They have the mindset and skills to accept the fundamental principles and build up from there. It is the results that verify and validate a theory, intuition is not an acceptance criteria.

I was always surprised why people are never concerned about the lack of intuition in advanced math (speaking about QM, try to describe in common language a Hilbert space) but are so concerned about QM not being intuitive.

BTW, I find Newtonian/classical mechanics fully intuitive, starting with the principles and ending with the Emmy Noether conservation theorem (to me, as a simple amateur, the most fascinating result in Physics) and the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.