• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quality tube amp kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hoppy1, something else to think about and a inexpensive way to get into tubes would be to look for a old Magnavox 9300 series console amp. The are very easy to convert to a free standing amp and put out 10-12 wpc. This is a push-pull amp and uses EL84/6BQ5/6P15P-EV tubes. I have modified two of these and built the Tubelab SPP and enjoy all three.

9300.jpg

Thanks Reaper but I do not want to go down that road due to time involved and the difficulty sourcing the used equipment. I would end up having to purchase site unseen online and often this older equipment can turn into a lot of work unless you know what you are getting.

I know it looks like I am all over the map but after a discussion with Bob Latino (VTA ST70 kid) and a discussion with a gentleman from bottlehead I think the higher power of the ST 70 will better suit my needs ...

Hoppy1
A DIY colleague built one of Bob Latino's amps and has been very happy with it. He brought it over to my room and let me hear it. Very impressive with big sound and very solid lower register. Sounds like you are making a great choice for your needs. Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck.

Thanks Lowes makes me feel a little more comfortable. It is hard to purchase something you can’t get a chance to hear first.
Calnago55 I think as a first build I would enjoy a kit more. I definitely can see where building from scratch would be cool and I’m sure a person would learn a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.