quality of new threads going downhill

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, the moderators are not picked for their technical expertise. Just look at me and Cal. That's not their job, anyway. It should be abundantly clear that this forum is not moderated on technical content - except for safety.

What, bad example, I see Cal as one of the few speaker construction experts here. If I will ever attempt to build my own speakers, I can do the first design iteration (I know the basic plot) but when it comes to construction I know where to ask.

syn08, i was responding to your post, which is obviously not about you but newbies...

Sorry, I must have been confused by

so don't ever be confused, mods are regular guys too just like the rest of the membership, and when you do not see the :cop: sign then we are not posting as mods but as a regular members..

I'm old enough around to know that much about the moderation team.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
their own ego (and some remnants of the God Syndrome) was involved.
LOL, that's pretty funny. We regularly get called:
  • Stasi (no moderators are East German)
  • KGB (no moderators are Russian)
  • Gestapo (no moderators were alive during WWII)
  • American Thugs (The majority of mods are outside the USA)
  • Subjectiivists (some are)
  • Science Nazis (see above)
  • Iron fisted bureaucrats (pussycats, actually)
  • Illuminati (no comment)

But God? That's a new one. Thanks! Disappointingly, moderators are just regular people who are also members here. The vast majority of mod work is janitorial. Much of that involves approving newbie posts, cleaning up duplicate posts and banning spammers. Things that are mostly invisible and unimportant to the general membership.

I'd say those things are all important to the forum.

I don't recall the last time I saw spam on here, so you guys are doing a great job.

I've abandoned boards in the past due to them being so heavily contaminated with spambots..

please keep on reporting if you see one...nowadays, with a one touch ban and clean, spammers are killed as fast as they post...

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
At the risk of offending some rule, I have to say that one of the confusion floating over any newcomer to this forum is about the level of expertise among the moderation team members. A natural instinct (I would think) makes the n00b newcomer to believe moderators are "gurus" instead of just rule enforcers. As such, they expect advice and guidance from them, trend to to be suspicious of any other source, and are sometimes confused when they don't get it. Some overlapping between the moderation activity and an commercial interests (one was just quoted above) is also not helping the credibility.

Heard this from a number of beginners that contacted me in private over the years. Perhaps a stronger statement about the roles and responsibilities of the moderation team would level the expectations.

One of the key things is that we do not moderate on technical things. We may occasionally moderate due to safety concerns, but that is it. There is also such a wide variety of subjects posted on here that it would not be possible to be a guru in all areas (I would not consider myself to be a guru in any!)

The best way to think of moderators is as just normal members who have a few additional responsibilities to keep the place operating as smoothly as possible.

This is the subsection on Moderation from the rules page.

diyAudio is a MODERATED FORUM:

The moderation team has final authority regarding the enforcement and interpretation of the Forum Rules and the conduct of its users. diyAudio reserves the right to terminate any user account that over time have demonstrated a negative impact on the community.

• The :cop: :captain: or :sarge: icons are for Moderator use only. Moderators will use them when conducting official forum duties only.
  • Moderators work as a team to enforce the forum rules. Most moderation actions are reviewed by the team.
  • Moderators are not usually allowed to edit offending posts; they must delete an entire post if part of it violates the rules.
  • Some threads become repetitive or conflict prone. The moderation team will, at its discretion, close these threads. Starting a new thread to discuss the same topic is prohibited. Posting material from or about a closed thread is also prohibited.
  • If you see a post that needs moderator attention or if you just need help, please use the "Report Post" button. This button is the red triangle found under the persons name, of the post you wish to report. This is the quickest way to get the attention of the moderation team.
  • Different levels of membership are not a consideration when moderating actions are taken.
  • Insulting, taunting, baiting or harassing a moderator for official decisions online or through private message or e-mail is a very serious offense and will usually result in banning.
  • Threads or posts about site moderation are not allowed and will be closed and/or deleted. Please handle questions and comments about the site or moderation via the "Report Post" button, PM, or the contact form.
I thought there was a comment about Moderators being normal members in there but apparently not.

We have been straying into the last point in this thread. Probably a good time to finish up specific talk about moderation! :)

Tony.

Last edited:
I meant, what can be measured at a 30K system temperature, in terms of sensitivity. Hint: you can hear the Big Bang original 3K background radiation.

Scott may share some details about what/how they discriminate from noise and measure at LIGO, via what essentially is a parametric amplifier with some 200dB gain (if memory serves).

Sorry to say I still cannot understand a single word of what you write - alas, I will never be a guru. :idea: ToS

Oh! Seems someone else other than me upvoted this thread!
I voted for four stars yesterday because it's picked up a bit, but nothing happened then.

So:
No Guru status.

Yes Beginner section with more documented, and relatively easy builds (possibly some kit based like ACA?).

Nnnnnyay?! "Like" button.

Nnnnnyay?! to my "Wonder if there could be some other measure or "Quality badge" that could be in the "Donation badge" area." (post 675)

... And no fireworks button to trigger stuff outside of Jasons house? :confused:

Did I miss anything?

leadbelly said:
I'd bet a coffee and donut that the "this opamp sounds better" post get more likes and the "1/4 page on why the designer chose the opamp they did and why you're unlikely to do better" post gets more dislikes.
Yes. For some reason, in audio (and radio antennas), false information is often more popular and deemed more helpful than the truth.

Yeah, I don't think you could make a system that would work. Remember, the newbie could be an audiophool, and wanting an audiophool answer. This lack of objective measure screws everything up.
Yes. In many areas there is an objective measure (does it accord with known and accepted science) but not all accept this objective measure. They prefer mystery.

scott wurcer said:
I don't either, but I do remember a suggestion that there be a forum where demanding DBT, etc. would be forbidden. I have been asked by at least one member to not comment in their threads (IIRC re: scalar waves and Schumann resonators) and I complied.
Sometimes a thread starter will specify that he is not interested in replies based on sound engineering principles, although that is not exactly how he will phrase it. In most cases I respect his wishes and keep away from such threads, but sometimes the temptation to join in overwhelms me - especially when complete nonsense is being taught to newbies as though it were established fact. Of course, such thread starters never seem to feel obliged to stay away from engineering-based discussions in other threads.

i never applied for and was surprised myself, who am i to refuse? its the least i can do for this great board... when you become a mod, you will know...

To me, the moderators are chosen from the members that are well above average posters, because more often than not, are hanging out on diyaudio. Also members in different time zones, like yourself, allows for blanket police coverage.
You guy are doing a great job of keeping things boring. ;)

Sorry to say I still cannot understand a single word of what you write - alas, I will never be a guru. :idea: ToS

I think syn08 is simply alluding to the fact that the medical and science community makes measurements far more sensitive than anything involved with audio. There are frequently posted articles on how small the movements of hairs are in the ear but frankly LIGO, for instance, is orders of magnitude more sensitive.

And my apologies, I consider anyone coming into an established community and requesting accommodations as having an agenda. Nothing personal at all, discussing moderation should be offline. I have BTW left forums where the moderation allowed certain offensive behaviors that bothered me.

Last edited:
We have programming teams as no individual is always correct and perfect in the simplicity of their execution -at all times.

the complexity shows that people are alive, and that's a good thing. Perfection is a form of death, so be careful what you wish for.

"Some" is all you should be hoping for. Hand on the wheel - on the road of chaos.... is as good as it is ever going to get, and that's only if you are lucky.

Yes. For some reason, in audio (and radio antennas), false information is often more popular and deemed more helpful than the truth.

Pseudo science, false information, and just plain BS exists anywhere that there is money to be made by selling or promoting such.

I think the worst examples existed in the automotive market especially in the 70's during the upturn in fuel prices....

There were all sorts of gadgets to improve fuel consumption or even the whole "run your car on water" over unity energy scheme, which is still making the rounds in different forms like "free electricity."

Sorry to say I still cannot understand a single word of what you write - alas, I will never be a guru......I meant, what can be measured at a 30K system temperature, in terms of sensitivity......how they discriminate from noise and measure at LIGO.....

When noise FIGURE measurements become too imprecise for tiny numbers, we use noise TEMPERATURE measurements, referenced to absolute zero. At zero degrees Kelvin, all thermal noise ceases. 30K is a low noise system.

These numbers are typically seen in RF amplifiers, and systems. When I worked on 4GHz TV satellite receivers in the 1980's 100K was a good system.

LIGO is a large scale laboratory with deep space receiving antennas capable of "hearing" very weak signals, due to the system's low internal noise.

Parametric amplifiers are made by modulating the parameters of a semiconductor device by a large RF signal. The semiconductor was usually a tunnel diode or a varactor diode. These could amplify without using resistors or a DC power supply, thereby eliminating two common noise sources. Common in the 70's and 80's, but today usually seen only in extremely high frequency RF systems.

We look at the whole "system" for it's ability to detect, monitor, and make some sense out of low level signals. The same is true of our audio "systems" and that system extends from the source to the listener's brain. I know that my hearing has a much worse S/N ratio than most due to severe tinnitus, so my audio system will never be as good as the same system with a different listener in the chair.

I understood most of what he wrote. I did have to look up "LIGO." Does that make me a "guru?" Maybe if this was an RF design forum, I could be considered an "expert" by certainly not a "guru."

In this forum I am well known for squeezing the most out of tubes. I am "knowledgable" in the solid state world, but a flat rookie in the DSP and speaker building world. NOBODY is an expert in all aspects of the Audio world....it's too broad and changes too fast.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In most cases I respect his wishes and keep away from such threads, but sometimes the temptation to join in overwhelms me - especially when complete nonsense is being taught to newbies as though it were established fact. Of course, such thread starters never seem to feel obliged to stay away from engineering-based discussions in other threads.
Therein lies the root of the problem. If it were only you, it wouldn't be a problem. But it's a widespread behavior.

Even if we had distinct Objective and Subjective sections of the forums, people with the opposing philosophies would still jump in to tell everyone how wrong they are.

Maybe that's just the nature of online discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.