• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

QUAD ESL 989 For Sale

My Quad ESL989 speakers have been in my ownership for around 3 years. I originally bought them with a view to “improve” them, but on arrival, they appeared to be faultless so nothing has been done other than to change the outer “sock” which was black to a new blue sock, obtained from One Thing Audio. Other than that, they are as they were shipped by Quad. They were serviced at Quad in August 2014 and have consecutive serial numbers 901255 and 901256.
Any prospective owners should be aware that these are large speakers, but at last, they give the electrostatic design the bass which has been missing for so long from Quad ESL products. I should add that I have owned around 6 ESL 57s of various vintages and I much prefer these speakers in terms of detail, depth and power.
The sound, as you might expect, is superbly detailed, voices extremely natural, and transients just amazing. The speakers are connected to Hypex NC400 Class D amplifiers, which are totally silent and well known for their performance. Music sources are generally FLAC files from a music server.
The speakers are unmarked, in original condition, all panels are working without any transient pops of clicks and the speakers are available with the original packaging from Quad
Listening is highly recommended, as is collection from our location, which is just south of Cambridge.

Attachments

• P1040474.JPG
    P1040474.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 252
  • P1040475.JPG
    P1040475.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 184
  • P1040476.JPG
    P1040476.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 183
  • P1040477.JPG
    P1040477.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 210
Hi Jan,

Yes they are still here..but I have advertised them on eBay...starting at £850, and including the packing cases. I am guessing they will go for around £1000,..see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165543602622?hash=item268b2ae9be:g:HV8AAOSw91BisvZR

I have just imported from the Netherlands, via Brussels a pair of JBL L250ti speakers...you can imagine how different these sound...but I enjoy working on speakers and there was nothing to do on the Quads except to listen to them!