QUAD 33/303 reboot

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not much info yet:

0524_munich_quad_05-600.jpg

the new Quad components will be available within six months. The 303 will offer 60Wpc, cost approximately €1500 apiece, and include balanced and single-ended inputs and outputs, a remote control, a phono stage, and the original Quad’s “tilt controls.” The 303 prototype was very heavier than it looked. The classic orange buttons had excellent touch.

dave

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
I have a 33/303 combo from the family stereo. I recall that the combo got an award from something like the London Design Institute. Love the industrial design. I think Naim stuff looks nice too - must be a British thing. I guess the 303 sounded OK. It was meant to drive the ESL 57, but not remotely in their league sonically. The 33 was completely unreliable - something to do with the contacts for all the boards in it. Sure looks cool though.

I bought the 33/303 secondhand for $250 in the 70s, kept the 33 and matched it with a new 405 at some point which was also a reasonable price back then. Both sounded fine but I felt the 405 was warmer. I had no problems with the 33 but someone in my absence played the 405 too loud and stopped working until a friend fixed it. Nothing major. Maybe the new 303 will bring better distortion figures you would expect, but I hope quad maintains the sound quality for those with the $ who can afford it.

Interesting development.
Wonder what output transistors/triple they've used. Has Locanthi's patent timed out yet?
- but the chap in the video suggested they'd kept the triples. Not sure the original configuration would work with modern high speed devices which is why I suspect it would be straight triple complementary.