Purifi Audio by Bruno Putzeys and friends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Adding MFB to this woofer is not necessary IMO, marginal benefit. MFB was developed in the 70s when woofers were really bad by today's standards.

Mitch, please correct the name of the wonderful piece - it's "Regular Pleasures"
"Patricia Barber’s, Guilty Pleasures (DR15) is a torture test for amps/loudspeakers with its concussive bass drum and sliding bass line."

Adding MFB to this woofer is not necessary IMO, marginal benefit. MFB was developed in the 70s when woofers were really bad by today's standards.

Mitch, please correct the name of the wonderful piece - it's "Regular Pleasures"
"Patricia Barber’s, Guilty Pleasures (DR15) is a torture test for amps/loudspeakers with its concussive bass drum and sliding bass line."

I wouldn't do it on this woofer. I highly doubt it would have a benefit at all. The woofer is designed as a midwoofer with good bass extention. Applying MFB to this will probably make the bass region a bit cleaner, but due to the bode inequality your midrange will suffer. Also high bandwidth is difficult to obtain with MFB.

MFB seems only suitable for real subwoofers. Rob of RMS Acoustics/Grimm Audio has published a couple of papers about a modern take on MFB. They're quite interesting and can be found on his website: Audio Design Principles

Do you think this driver would work well with a full range driver above (from say 800hz or so).

I’ve been designing a project to make a modular sort of system with a active bass box (using the Hypex fusions) and then a range of full rangers on top.

Was swaying towards the Satori line of drivers as they seemed to be up there with the best available. But maybe one of these could be great.

The modularity would allow people to buy the driver in a nice box pre-loaded with active dsp and a spare output for tweeter or full range driver.

Do you think this driver would work well with a full range driver above (from say 800hz or so).

You could, but look at hifi compass' measurements: Purifi PTT6.5W04-01A | HiFiCompass

Best of luck finding a driver that performs better at that 800Hz region.

Also full range drivers tend to not have very good HF characteristics. Their large size causes beaming and breakup modes.

Your idea could work out for a tweeter that can be crossed low.

I’ve been designing a project to make a modular sort of system with a active bass box (using the Hypex fusions) and then a range of full rangers on top.

Was swaying towards the Satori line of drivers as they seemed to be up there with the best available. But maybe one of these could be great.

The modularity would allow people to buy the driver in a nice box pre-loaded with active dsp and a spare output for tweeter or full range driver.

I was thinking about a similar approach but using one octave lower cross-over point. That would eliminate most of the midrange of this driver. So I would think a larger version of the Purifi like 8" would be better suited but I don't know if they will develop something like that.

I was thinking about a similar approach but using one octave lower cross-over point. That would eliminate most of the midrange of this driver. So I would think a larger version of the Purifi like 8" would be better suited but I don't know if they will develop something like that.

Lars Risbo confirmed on the DIY Audio Facebook group that larger drivers are on the roadmap, but it might take some time before they actually release more info about them.

Hmm. Maybe a BMR driver could mate well. I’ve been listening to full range drivers for years now and do like most of what they do. Bass being the main drawback.

Was tying to avoid the usual 2-3khz xo crossover...

But perhaps a simple two way with a good tweeter is all you need. There is a planned box using the 3 way Fusions they was going to bundle a satori and a amt super tweeter with the other CHannel for those with full rangers they need a boost up top. Could work really well without the full range. (Would even leaves a spare channel for sub)

i just read the article by mitchco.

Speaker details here https://purifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/SPK5-App-Note.pdf

The speaker is pretty basic BR 2-way with LR4@3,2kHz xo. BR tuning is low around 30Hz. Tweeter is Mundorf AMT that costs 240€.

Mitch didn't show distortion or directivity curves but it really must be good for a single 6,5" 2-way Anyway it needs a subwoofer for full range sound. The woofer has moderate cone resonance around 3,5kHz and typcal directivity characteristics.

Purify amp is first class no doubt!

Juhazi, the eval kit I reviewed was the SPK4, with a 2.5 kHz XO and basic box. Attached. Amazing 6.5" speaker with solid output to 32 Hz. Yah, adding subs like I did towards the end of the article reaches down to 6 Hz and my ears gave up before the PTT6.5 woofer did. So clean it is ridiculous!

Oops, I was listening at the time while I was writing - distracted. Fixed!

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Purifi SPK4 - App Note.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I read through Mitch's review yesterday, thanks for the dedicated time to appreciate them and document them so well.

It sounds like for most people the speakers will go plenty low enough and loud enough. I do figure though if most people are DIY'ing and trying to get the very best from every part then a DSP frontend might be on the cards. A bridged FS253, would get your 500w @ 4Ohms and 100w for the tweeter should allow a bit of headroom for eq?

I read through Mitch's review yesterday, thanks for the dedicated time to appreciate them and document them so well.

It sounds like for most people the speakers will go plenty low enough and loud enough. I do figure though if most people are DIY'ing and trying to get the very best from every part then a DSP frontend might be on the cards. A bridged FS253, would get your 500w @ 4Ohms and 100w for the tweeter should allow a bit of headroom for eq?

Hi Mitch
With your huge experience of DSP do you think DSP could help the TPP reach any lower, for folks who (as you put it so well) are not as keen on running a "refrigerator show room" I appreciate the question is highly speculative.

and Happy new year to you .

Hi jasdiy, yes, I was just testing out the new version of Dirac Live 2.0 on these yesterday and the -3 dB point was 25 Hz in the corrected response. Should be sufficient for most and still boggles my mind how much low frequency output this 6.5" puts out yet sounds perfectly clean in the lower mids and midrange, right up until the woofer bottoms out. Happy New Year to you as well!

Hi TimbreAudio, that is certainly enough power :)

Lars Risbo confirmed on the DIY Audio Facebook group that larger drivers are on the roadmap, but it might take some time before they actually release more info about them.

An 8" Purifi driver would be great. Would probably have a better sensitivity than the 6.5 incher. And it could work better in open baffle (though you could also take two or four 6.5" units to move more air).

Fedde

6,5 midwoofer allows for 2way design and that's the whole point - to be able to design simple compact speaker with good quality. At the same time usability is quite low because of sensitivity - but again - they count to use them with their ampilifiers. On one hand I like the fact that they try to make things easy, on the other hand i don't like it that they leave us very little choice.

MTM with 2 PR and larger AMT from Mundorf seems like the way to go to max out the potential.

6,5 midwoofer allows for 2way design and that's the whole point - to be able to design simple compact speaker with good quality. At the same time usability is quite low because of sensitivity - but again - they count to use them with their ampilifiers. On one hand I like the fact that they try to make things easy, on the other hand i don't like it that they leave us very little choice.

MTM with 2 PR and larger AMT from Mundorf seems like the way to go to max out the potential.

You don't HAVE to use their amplifiers. You can use any active set-up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.