Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Zen Mod said:

yup

even if it's put on hold , temporary .......... not enough time .......

http://www.hifi-forumi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7658

Intrigued here....wotcha doing to it? the a100 was responsible for me wasting a good part of my life chasing the impossible dream.....but the A1 was the first class A thing that I heard

I wouldn't ask but I can't understand the forumi site(surprise!)..tell us choky tell us please...

Ed

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
vitalstates said:

Intrigued here....wotcha doing to it? the a100 was responsible for me wasting a good part of my life chasing the impossible dream.....but the A1 was the first class A thing that I heard

I wouldn't ask but I can't understand the forumi site(surprise!)..tell us choky tell us please...

Ed

tell what?
seriously - what you wanna know about A1 (David) what you already don't?

A1 was love of my youth .... cannot have one ( too expensive ) , so I cloned little drek by my backengineered schm from origigi one ;
even then I realize how big pupu is preamp stage , so I made just power amp stage , and guessed that output xistores are 2n3055 and bdx18 ........

later ....... history

anyway - feel free to ask ........ what you wanna ask :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
vitalstates said:
was just curious as you seemed to be modding a standard board.....thought you might have discovered a (black art) mod to stop it going critical and involving the fire brigade in your hifi enjoyment.

its just nostalgia really...it aint what it used to be!

Ed

I think that can be fun to have one these days , so I bought one David from e-sheeez , not exactly cheap ...... sorta crazy buy , with both aManu and Jaccovitty involved .... as a payment for my obvious lack of xperience what uberwiesung and Paypal is ......

doesn't matter - I have it now , in a middle of refurbishing and tweaking ;

as you can see on these pics - everything but power amp is just cleared from pcb ; critical parts are changed , and I have plan to put proper and simple line stage in it .

nice piece to have it as media amp , with pair of horn boxed FR Sonidos ........ dunno - it's (especially in stock box , with tiny xformer) certainly less good than Babelfish , but I think good enough for pure joy

and that's name of the game

if you are interested - I can (later , when I make few steps more ) start one funny thread about bastardizing nostalgia icon ....

and - yessssss - A100 is/was utter drek ( in that - stock form ) , almost as ECC88 starving at low voltage ......... I know that you know what I'm talkin' about .........

ZM,

Am I correct in that, the purpose of C10 in the Shunty is to provide a soft start? If so, I have a few 220uF in the junk box, I guess I can use them right?

Also, I am not sure if you have answered this or not. Any reason why for quite a few caps you used 15mm raster, when 5mm (0.2") raster caps are easily and cheaply available? For instance, for C12 in the shunty, holes for 0.2" could have been provided.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dviswa said:
ZM,

Am I correct in that, the purpose of C10 in the Shunty is to provide a soft start? If so, I have a few 220uF in the junk box, I guess I can use them right?

Also, I am not sure if you have answered this or not. Any reason why for quite a few caps you used 15mm raster, when 5mm (0.2") raster caps are easily and cheaply available? For instance, for C12 in the shunty, holes for 0.2" could have been provided.

C10 is there for better ripple rejection ; soft start - if any- is just a coincidence

C12 raster - even if Oly is strictly responsible for layout , I can tell you that I also have habit of using axial caps , so raster is more convenient

besides that ......... you can only random expect that my doings have any logical reason .......... :rofl: