Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I GOT MY BOARDSS!!!!

Today in the mail, a little tiny package but well wrapped

With newspaper that is quite amusing to try to read! :xeye:

Those boards are ugly for sure ;)

I still am amused that the power supply is more complicated than the preamp circuit. Of course truly, they are all part of the pre.

I will start making my list- not for Santa but for Mouser and Digi-Key

That's a lot of resistors, but I'm sure glad the Choky includes the hard to get stuff - Thank you Choky!!

This Pumpkin/F4 combo is going to be hard to beat! :smash:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
I GOT MY BOARDSS!!!!

Today in the mail, a little tiny package but well wrapped

With newspaper that is quite amusing to try to read! :xeye:

Those boards are ugly for sure ;)

I still am amused that the power supply is more complicated than the preamp circuit. Of course truly, they are all part of the pre.

I will start making my list- not for Santa but for Mouser and Digi-Key

That's a lot of resistors, but I'm sure glad the Choky includes the hard to get stuff - Thank you Choky!!

This Pumpkin/F4 combo is going to be hard to beat! :smash:

:worship: :captain:

:devilr: :rofl:

Algar_emi,

I took your nice spreadsheet and started building my own list of orders, in doing so I noticed that you have listed R20 33R2, while the schematic lists it as 27K. Perhaps this is a typo or did I miss something among all the drekky OT stuff going on :D .

Regards,
Dinesh

Edit: Oh, wait, I also notice R24 & R25 different. Are you trying to increase the bias current?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dviswa said:
Algar_emi,

I took your nice spreadsheet and started building my own list of orders, in doing so I noticed that you have listed R20 33R2, while the schematic lists it as 27K. Perhaps this is a typo or did I miss something among all the drekky OT stuff going on :D .

Regards,
Dinesh

Edit: Oh, wait, I also notice R24 & R25 different. Are you trying to increase the bias current?

dviswa - just look in Pumpkin & Shunty Cook Book I sent you ;
there you'll find anything you need to know about values .

Shunt current

Zen Mod,

I'm trying to understand how shunt regulators operate a little better. I understand the concepts of the shunt regulator just not the design considerations.

How much shunt current is there when the Shunty is loaded with a channel of the Pumpkin.? I tried to figure this out by the schematic, but couldn't come to a conclusion. I see that the drain resistance voltage across R12 is about 1.5 volts supplied by the lower CCS, which should be enough to turn on the shunt transistor. I remember reading somewhere that the shunt should be some percentage (20 to 25%) of the total constant current source output.

Could it be that what current isn't used by the load gets forced through the shunt??? This brings up the question, what is the maximum current load for the Shunty?.

The books I have don't get very specific about discrete shunt regulators. :scratch:

BDP

Re: Shunt current

BDP said:
Zen Mod,

I'm trying to understand how shunt regulators operate a little better. I understand the concepts of the shunt regulator just not the design considerations.

How much shunt current is there when the Shunty is loaded with a channel of the Pumpkin.? I tried to figure this out by the schematic, but couldn't come to a conclusion. I see that the drain resistance voltage across R12 is about 1.5 volts supplied by the lower CCS, which should be enough to turn on the shunt transistor. I remember reading somewhere that the shunt should be some percentage (20 to 25%) of the total constant current source output.

Could it be that what current isn't used by the load gets forced through the shunt??? This brings up the question, what is the maximum current load for the Shunty?.

The books I have don't get very specific about discrete shunt regulators. :scratch:

BDP

Awe, come on.... the Shunty doesn't need no stinkin' shunt! It's got about a thousand caps. This is tough on the junkyard BTW :)

Good question BDP - I hope you hear an answer. I wondered the same but kept quiet for fear of an early hanging ;)