WHICH ONE ?

jacco vermeulen said:

personally speaking of course, i think i look more like this =>

:rofl:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 333
(hemorroid scratch) Sure i can buy cheapo NOS filters, with or without an integrated socket.
Come to think of it, i already have, and for a lot less than ordering a filter assembly package from Con-wheel.

And it's not like they'd be all out in the open, i've posted plenty pictures of the 55lbs each toroidal isolation transformers i've rebuilt to run balanced in conjunction with 20 Amp Schaffner FN352-Z filters.These
There's one of those transformer/filter combos for each of the power amps, one for the preamp and another set for the remaining audio junk, 4 pairs total.(~244lbs)

Still, if every bit of attention is paid to damping against vibration/microfonics and shielding against EMI/RFI, why get off on a basic mains input filter ?
Trouble with the ladida Swiss filters is their size, the FN352-Z-20 measures 10" in length and weighs 6lbs each.
I've also got the smaller FN352-Z-10 (10 Amp rating), but those still have a 7"x5" foot print and would take up half the space of a PS case.

Oh Yeah, i've got better than Corcom chassis mount combination filters with integrated fuses, already posted a picture of the ones i scavenged for less than a hot dog ticket but let's do re-runs.
I just wondered if a better one can not be hacked together with higher quality parts, but still with modest sizes.

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 312
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
(hemorroid scratch).....
I just wondered if a better one can not be hacked together with higher quality parts, but still with modest sizes.

you're bigger and smarter boy than I am ( don't tell anyone that I ever wrote that !) ......... so I resume that you already know the answer .....

dutchie drekin' little serbie again .......

Beeh, it's not what you pushed in to your skull but the sticky stuff that comes out that matters.

Generally speaking, the smaller the current rating of the filter is the higher the insertion loss percentage will be.
Which is basically what the frighin thing is all about, no ?

The medical grade Delta EMI filter i sheuwed is not meant for a pre-amp, just the 3 Amps times 250Vac makes 750VA.
Fine for an Aleph-Jerker, but a 1A filter would be more than sufficiento for the power supply of a pre-amp and could also have at least 10dB more insertion loss above 100K.

That was just about the moment that headache started again.
What if you don't have a single transformatador PS, but you are using 2 transformers instead, or maybe even 4 single secondary trannies to feed 2 of ZM's power Snotter boards ?

For instance the nickel&dime dual-bobby blocks i got for the Shunty, the ones i can't mount because my PS-case still doesn't have a bottom.
At 60VA/230VAC, the little dice could nourish quite handsomely on a 0.5A EMI filter.
Alas, i'm not aware of any decent complete EMI filter assemblies in that size, and most 1 Ampy ones are crummy.
Just farting out loud, as usual.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Just farting out loud, as usual.

couldn't agree more .........

anyway - you can go in two different (are they ? ) routes :
1 . you can use convenient placed shorties between series reg and CCS-es in Shunty , and place there craziest chokes you can find ( common mode or not , choose by your self)

2. you can go nutz and build something like this :

part1/2

Attachments

• nononsenslcfromsp_page_1.zip
    88.9 KB · Views: 63
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Route 3: put two of the NOSiest EMI filters in series and fck-off ?

you really don't need anything "in box" if you have outboard ( in own box ) filters ;

if I understood you - you already have isolation xformers ? complemented with proper MOVs and caps and thingies ?

if yes , just go fishing .....

if not - finish them and go fishing .......

or maybe - just finish :Pumpkin: and go fishing ( after you trow it through window , ditto in pullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll .......... )

:bigeyes:

edit:

will you leave power cord in wall , and g/f in pool - it's your choice :rofl:

Zen Mod said:
if yes, if not

It's not a problem if it's only common mode we're talking about.
But differential mode noise supression in the lower frequency range of an EMI filter is not exactly hot stuff, would be nice if it could be more than 20 to 30dB numbers.
Radio freak rangers Fred and Jock Homie haven't been at this club for a long time now, but there are still plenty others e.g. Macura who post about the shortcomings of regular EMI filtering.
The data of the little ones are not that bad though, here