• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PTC Thermistor for auto fixed bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem with most simple attempts at automatic bias adjustment is that they regulate average current, when what you actually need to regulate is quiescent current. Fixed bias is best, but needs manual adjustment. Cathode bias from a resistor is a compromise. Regulating average current is worse than normal cathode bias.

This problem arises because all valves have significant second-order curvature. As well as generating second-harmonic distortion this also causes a DC shift when signal is present. This DC shift is normal, and should not be compensated away. The solution, which is rarely used, is to sample the current at zero-crossings of the signal because then you get the true quiescent current (assuming no grid current flow has charged up the grid coupling capacitor).

Ah, you should have said you weren't interested in actually listening! :cool:

In that case, you can have a marvellous servo circuit with several blue status LEDs. With the wrong servo time constants and gain these will pulse with the music. The LF response will be ruined, but you can then rely on the placebo effect to convince yourself and your friends that you have an amazing system!

To be serious, I did once see a website where someone had built an auto-bias circuit which detected zero-crossings but I can't remember where I saw it. He reported that the elimination of all DC imbalance from the OPT improved low level distortion because of some magnetic effect in the iron.

I have used a combination of fixed and cathode bias for an EL34 output based on Mullard 5-20.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.