PSE-144 horn discussions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hulkss, did you give up on your diy effort?

I started my own design when it seemed that Paul would never get done and I was not that thrilled about buying a pile of MDF from Australia. Then suddenly, here's the elliptical fiberglass version that is much more appealing.

So I parked my design for the time being. I have the drivers and other parts ready to go. Might be a long time 'till I get the urge to build them.

Last edited:
Opened up the boxes today. Here's a PSE-144 complete kit for active crossover. I painted the stand and mounting plate black (was bare aluminum).

1 fiberglass horn
1 Celestion CDX1-1747 1" high frequency compression driver
4 Celestion TF0410MR closed back midrange drivers
1 Neutrik Speakon NL4MP 4 pole panel mount connector
1 Compression driver mounting plate
1 Rear support stand
1 Speaker wire
1 Foam gasket tape
1 Bag of fasteners

I'll post some pics when they are assembled.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's a white one together.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Wow! A single point DSP EQ'd response plotted with a 120 dB scale sure makes things look good. Actually that would probably make any speaker look good.

Yes data from "marketing".

I have not made critical measurements yet, after the holiday in a few weeks I suppose. They do sound very very good in this room with a quick filter set-up using Audiolense.

Get info on the PSE-144 here: Red Spade
and here: PSE-144

Last edited:
What do you use for bass for your mains ?

There is a custom DIY Infinite Baffle sub in the floor under the center speaker (output is through the speaker stand). There are four dual 15" Epik Empire Subs, two on each side of center. Center mid-bass is a Klipsch LaScala II, corner mid-bass are Klipschorn corner horns.
So:
Twelve 15" subwoofer drivers covering 2 octaves 16-64 Hz
Three 15" horn loaded mid-bass drivers covering 2 octaves 64-256 Hz
Twelve horn loaded 4" midrange drivers covering 2 octaves 256-1.2 kHz
Three horn loaded compression drivers covering 4 octaves 1.2 - 19.2 kHz

It doesnt account the effects of baffles and very limited in useful FR.

if you referring to in room measurements doesnt count the baffle, it all depends on your distance and how big is your radiation area, the room itself is not the limiting factor.

for limited in a sense of room domination below 300hz, i agree, this where the spliced and summation helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.